Added 10 documents to that library
Added 2 categories (internal/external)
Added category internal to 5 documents
Added category external to 5 documents

created a page
document downloadlist
selected the doc library
filtered by categories (internal)

Works like a charm and thats one way to use categories for filtering data in a download list for example.

----------
Now if you delete a categories (internal) for example you will not be warned that this categories is used and the categories will be removed from element categorized with that cat.

So actually even though the docs would be still in the library the download list would not display any of the docs since the cat was removed from the docs
---------
I know that if you had to remove the cats from every item that uses it it could be a lot of work ...

BUT

It would be nice to get a warning like

This categories is used in 5 news items, 4 events, 5 documents - Would you like to delete the categories and have this categories removed from these items?

It would prevent a couple of hours work maybe for one quick deletion.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2011 00:00

This is similar to what I had suggested in UserVoice site. Here is the link
sitefinity.uservoice.com/.../844233-prevent-used-files-from-being-removed

This feature got 40 votes which fell in top 4 but never made to PITS.
I think it would be handy to have this feature. We are using ver 3.7. Each department maintains their own pages and I already had many cases when users delete a file and the page where the file was referenced to has dead link.
Getting warning saying that the file or whole category is being using is such and such page would be great.

thanks

Rabindra

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2011 00:00

Hello guys,

I completely agree. In that sense of thoughts, there could be an analytics screen showing the most used items, medias or tags/categories.

We'll see what can be done about this.

Best wishes,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Apr-2013 00:00

I know this is a year old+ thread...But I just had an instance where I have a custom module widget on a page that contains documents. One of those documents had been deleted in the backend and the widget was throwing an error when I tried to get the document.

var document = libraryManager.GetDocument(cl.ChildItemId);  

Basically the custom module had the contentlink still in it, but there was no document to get based on the childitemid.

Is there no way to prevent documents from being deleted if they are residing in custom modules?   

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi,

Could you please tell us what is the Sitefinity version you are using so we could test the behavior on our side?

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2013 00:00

I have not checked if 6.0 gives a warning if tags or categories are used when deleting.

If not, I still think it could save some from trouble.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2013 00:00

Hello,

When you are trying to delete a category there is a warning message:

Are you sure you want to delete this item?

In the screen there is a column Applied to which is showing which items are using this category. If there are some items the item's count is blue and you are able to click on it and see more information about the items that the current category is applied to.

Greetings,
Stefani Tacheva
the Telerik team

This thread is closed