Project Manager and Version

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 23:23

Project Manager and Version

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jun-2011 00:00

Why does the project manager XML also store the version of the project, can that not be scraped from the project config directory itself?

Just wondering because it's another step in my rollbacks :)

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jun-2011 00:00

@Steve

I once added a project to my xml and the version nummer got changed automatically. So I assume somehow it pulled the version from .dll or some .config file. Not sure where it pulled it from but you see it at the end of the screencast.

www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_version_change.swf

So I guess this should be possible.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi,

The version stored in the Projects.xml is loaded on startup of the Project manager and is displayed while the projects are loading. On project load (Connecting) the ProjectManager is checking the version of the assemblies and also checks the DB, which eventually returns the current assembly version. Once the project is displayed as "Online" it's showing the updated information about its version (which also gets updated automatically in the XML file). Please let me know if you have any additional questions related tot his functionality, I'll be glad to help.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Ok, so once I upgrade a project to 4.1 (for example), and I then downgrade it back to 4.0...the project manager still has the 4.1 version listed, but once it fully loads it'll detect the 4.0 version and show that...is that what you're saying?

Hi Steve,

Well, I believe the answer here is yes (I've actually attached a sample video demonstrating how changes in the XML are reflected in the PM). However, why would you want to preform downgrade on your project in first place? Please have in mind that downgrades are not officially supported, and they have not been tested, so we cannot guarantee any pre-determined behavior if you perform downgrade on your live project.

Best wishes,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Here's what I do
1) Backup the DB to ~/App_Data/_database
2) Copy the existing site webfolder to the same Dir, and rename it so it reflects the current version

...So that gives me my restore-able backup

Then I use the project manager to upgrade the existing site...

If it goes well, then nothing more needs to happen, however if it goes badly and I need to revert back (maybe try another release or internal build) then I just delete the main webfolder, a copy the backup files into it (and restore the DB).

So the end result is everything is as it was before I clicked Upgrade (except the version in the project XML)

I still have no been able to upgrade my personal site past 4.0, so I've had to do this process about 8 times...and it still wont update.

Hi Steve,

I see now, well as long as you have a matching set of assemblies and DB, the project manager should be able to recognize your site version, whatever the value in the Projects.xml file, p[lease let me know if you are observing different behavior.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed