Persisting the Viewstate

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 00:22

Persisting the Viewstate

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jul-2011 00:00

Can you perhaps think about persisting the viewstate to the database by default please?

...trying to cut down on the page size...viewstate is a big chunk of it

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the request. 

Perhaps you want to reduce the page size to gain some load speed, but persisting it in the database could make the application slower. You will need to make a query to DB in order to load the viewstate. The problem becomes bigger is the DB server is remote to the hosting server.

Let me know if I am missing something.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Yeah I dont know about that...experience here with integrating WAO in sitefinity and non-sitefinity apps is that when we persist to the DB, yes there's a callback, we can cut potentially a couple hundred k (or more) off the page size which reduces the page download meaning physical browser page rendering is happening sooner

...but you know, viewstate in the sites I've created so far isn't that big to warrant it now that I look, heavy backend pages at most for me is around 15%...

Hi Steve,

As you know we stay away from using ViewState in Sitefinity - we rely on Ajax and route handlers. If you need to use view state you can try enabling it only for the controls that need to use view state. This will really keep it down to minimal size.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Yeah, I poked around with the asp.net viewstate helper, and average you're looking at about 2% viewstate, which is nothing...

This thread is closed