Nav Control

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 20:37

Nav Control

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Oct-2011 00:00

When I choose a nav control (vertical or horizontal) which just shows 1 level of items (so doesn't require any expanding of child pages), can you please render it out as a simple UL\LI list instead of the bloatly RadMenu\RadTabStrips?...when it's just a simple list of items their functionality is pointless and just causing extra styles and scripts to load when there's no interaction

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

Thank you for contacting us and for your suggestion. Actually, there is an option to create a custom navigation control to suit your requirements. We use radmenu, because it's flexible and comes with a wide range of features. It offers 12 build-in skins and you could also use our style builder to easily create new ones and apply them to your navigation. I'm sending you some more information about the classes, used in the radmenu and hopefully this will make customizing it easier for you.

Kind regards,
Zheyna Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Oct-2011 00:00

No no, I know that you use the RadMenu and I know it's configurable and skinnable :)

But it's also a giant pile of script and style bloat when this is all you need for a one level menu

<ul>
   <li><a href="home">Home</a>
   <li><a href="page1">Page1</a>
   <li><a href="page2">Page2</a>
   <li><a href="contact">Contact</a>
</ul>

So in the case of the RadMenu...it gives me about the above markup...which is good....but also sends down a large stylesheet and a giant script file, when theres literally no interaction going on in the menu.

So PERHAPS if it's a one level menu (no rmSlides), you guys could set the
EnableEmbeddedScripts="false"
option for us?...I mean there's no interaction needed...why have a script there which contains a ton of stuff the user would never need.

Like I don't WANT to code my own menu, I want the CMS to do it all for me in the most efficient way possible right?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

You've got point. I've attached a video on how to create a custom template for your navigation and in its declaration to set EnableEmbeddedScripts to false.

All the best,
Zheyna Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

Thanks for the video :)

Yeah I know I can set the view template like that...but I think you'd agree in 99.9% of the cases with a simple menu like this (one-level, no interaction) EnableEmbeddedScripts should be false as PART of the control.

I guess what I'm saying is...while I may be able to do this, there's a good chunk of users who won;t know this, and therefore the CMS is generating extra bloat on their pages and therefore unnecessarily slowing things down (i know, arguably marginally)...but it should be up to telerik and sitefinity to make sure everything is as efficient as possible.

Perhaps a PITS issue?

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

Actually, disabling embedded scripts, in order to remove part of them, isn't a good idea, because then you'd have to add the disabled JavaScript resources from an external location. Please review this article in the RadControls documentation: http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-disabling-embedded-resources.html. If you disable the base scripts and you do not provide them manually you risk breaking the controls and all the client side functionality of this page. It does not seem reasonable making customers add the scripts by themselves.

However, since we find your suggestion for a clean navigation reasonable, we have logged a feature request for a simple UL\Li navigation. You can track its progress in PITS. In the mean time you can try something as below:

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.NavigationControls" TagPrefix="sfNav" %>
<sfNav:SitefinitySiteMapDataSource runat="server" SiteMapProvider="FrontendSiteMap" ShowStartingNode="false" ID="sitemapDs" />
<asp:Repeater runat="server" ID="navRptr" DataSourceID="sitemapDs">
    <HeaderTemplate><ul></HeaderTemplate>
    <ItemTemplate>
        <asp:HyperLink runat="server" ID="itemLink" NavigateUrl='<%#Eval("Url")%>' Text='<%#Eval("Title") %>'></asp:HyperLink>
    </ItemTemplate>
    <FooterTemplate></ul></FooterTemplate>
</asp:Repeater>

I will be happy to assist you if you have further questions.

Kind regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Steve,

I found this control on our marketplace and I thought you might find it useful, regarding our previous conversation. Take a look at it and let me know if it offers the functionality you were looking for.

Regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Oct-2011 00:00

Hey Jen,
  Yeah I saw that there...and I can make my own really :)

The request though is for "Joe User" who doesn't know how but trusts that his CMS will render out the most optimal JS\CSS\Html it can right?

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Steve,

You are correct by stating that an inexperienced user may experience certain difficulties when trying to modify our horizontal menu. The logged PITS issue for a simple menu is in progress and we'll make sure to meet our clients' expectations by implementing it in Sitefinity soon. Thank you again for the useful suggestion.

Kind regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

This thread is closed