Another Dashboard Request

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 17:25

Another Dashboard Request

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Nov-2011 00:00

How about hiding the browse and edit link on the dashboard when browse and edit is disabled.

And please make the dashboard usfull or at least give us an uption to cofigure to land on pages directly.

Hope to see the dashboard cofiguration on a roadmap anytime soon

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Thank you for contacting Telerik support.

When Browse and Edit is disabled the editing tools should not be visible. If you see the tools and the feature is disabled you have probably found a bug.

As for the Dashboard - it is in our plans but unfortunately is not scheduled yet.

Regards,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Nov-2011 00:00

Dear Antoaneta

Can you check if this is still the case in 4.3?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Markus,

Thank you for the screenshots.

I confirm this is a bug and I logged it to be fixed for the next release.
Your Telerik points are updated.

Kind regards,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Dec-2011 00:00

And while you at it - please give us an option to remove the SF 3.7 migration tool.
Why does every new client of me have to see this?

a) its technical - Do you realy think endusers will upgrade it
b) its not needed for all project running on 4.x.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your comments, you have a point.

Many of our clients are on their way to migrate old projects so at this time the link will not be removed from the Dashboard.
I can assure you that in the future it will be moved somewhe else.

Kind regards,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

If you disable browse and edit the dashboard still shows the text to edit the site directly (4.4 new project)
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

Thank you for raising this again.
We are aware of the problem and it is logged to be fixed.
As this is not a critical issue we decided to postpone it for some of our next releases.

All the best,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2012 00:00

Thanks Antoaneta for the feedback.

I was under the impression it would be very easy to do so.

Kind of IF BrowseAndEdit = false then hide else show :-)

Markus

But you are right. Having all 4.4 users having to see the 3.7 migration effekt is much more bothering. Since if you log into 4.4 you probably have an 4.4 solution allready :-)

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello,

Thank you Markus, I know it sounds like something easy but it is not so trivial.
I have already raised its priority so it will be fixed sooner.

Kind regards,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2012 00:00

I still stand by my request, that when browse and edit is disabled the dashboard should not show the link to edit content directly in browser.

Markus

PS: Still hoping to skip the dashboard for users login in. It's simply one extra click every time.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for reminding us for this problem. I will raise its priority internally so to be fixed sooner.
We have a lot of ideas for personalisation of the Dashboard but they are not in the plans so far. We will take your proposal in mind when we start working on this.

All the best,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2012 00:00

Yes, this is something that annoys me as well. For our projects we delete everything on that Dashboard page, because the system is not connected to the internet. So everytime you login, you have a very nice and empty page saying "Welcome". If I could skip it, that would be very nice.
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2012 00:00

Dear Antoaneta
And I still stand by other request. Remove the migrate from 3.7 info
a) wrong and useless for all projects since 4.0
b) If you see this link you already have an 4.x or 5.x installation so either you are fresh or something is in the process of migrating :-)
c) usfull probably only for admins and all editors don't need to see it.

But you are right there are more importet things, like a filter for pages waiting for approvel for example (If I remember correct still not available in 5.0)

Have a nice day.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

I realize how annoying this could be and I am sorry about that.
The priority of this issue will be raised again and it will be fixed for the next major release or earlier.

500 Telerik points are added to your account.

All the best,
Antoaneta
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2012 00:00

Again 

I know that I am a pain but.

I turn off browse and edit and my editor still get presented with the link to edit dirctly in the browser. He/she clicks on it and its not working.

I know you have other bugs to fix but just want to keep it alive.

----------------------

Same with the dashboard migration link. Every new release since 4.0 has this unneeded link. 

-----------------------

Still hoping to be finaly able to skip the dashboard for clients and start with pages, as long as the dashboard does not provide any added value - And yes, I know of Falafel Dashboard but don't want to use 3rd party stuff.

-----------------

Help Topics - Nice to have the text translated to german. But they still end up with an english documentation page for the hello world example. Another thing where you see the dashboard is not really helpfull for everybody.

Enduser Editor get link how to set navigation between pages. Common. My editors don't have access to Design - Page Templates. Therefore they don't need help topics on that.

-------------

If I turn the blog module off. I don't want the dashboard to have a  link -> how to create a blog.

-------------
And how many of the editors are really interested to know more about the fluent API?

Luke 18, 5

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Dec-2012 00:00

@Telerik

It still bothers me that every client of mine will see the Edit directly in Browser on the dashboard when I set it to false.

One year should have been enough to think about it an implement a fix.

I don't like when a CMS gives user options they don't have.

Well the dashboard is compared to 3.7 a shame anyhow. If I at least could set it to be skipped then I would not mind so much

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2012 00:00

Hello Markus,

I generally agree with you, but let's just kindly remind that the Dashboard can be changed, just like any other Sitefinity page :). You can remove the dashboard control and put whatever you want for the client, or for the specific project. 

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Looking forward to your answer to this :-)

Just like any other page would lead to the impression that the pages would behave like the rest of the pages in Sitefinity.

Well this is what I did on a test project that I use for quick and dirty testing like this.

1) go to the admin - backend pages and ignore the warning that you can mess up the whole site
2) put the pages page above the dashboard

Well you would expect the group page to load the first page -> that would be pages not dashboard -> but it still loads dashboard

3) just for fun unpublish the dashboard page. twice go a locked. 3rd time it got unpublished.

Here is the result: http://www.marktold.com/screencast/sf_not_funny.swf

Well if you go to Sitefinity/Pages you get back into the admin area

Dashboard link on top is still visible even though unpublished but of course if you click on it you get an 404 error.

So to me the backend pages (at least dashboard) does not seem to be working exactely the same as I would it expect. Am I wrong :-)

Markus

Well you can't fault anyone but yourself for un-publishing the dashboard and expecting it to work :)  The backend assumes the dashboard page exists and that's where you're sent on login.  I think rather Georgi was saying that you can EDIT the dashboard page to do whatever you want.

"You can remove the dashboard control and put whatever you want for the client, or for the specific project"

@Steve
Why do you think I used a testsite :-)

But why the the Need to Take me hard Codes to the Dashboard. Why not leg Sitefinity do ist Magic! Group Page Redirects to First Page. Unpublished pages will not Show in Navigation?
markus

I don't understand the rules of the backend.  I've tried adding pages to certain nodes and for all intents and purposes they should show-up (from what I know of how to create pages...but they don't).  That being said, you get a warning entering the backend saying don't *** around in here :)

Like it's such a small small small thing that maybe only 1-2 people would ask for it'd be a shame for them to even consider this a feature request to burn time on.  No offense intended (clearly), I'm just saying it's never been a common request even since the 3.x days.

If you really don't want someone getting access to the dashboard you can always edit the page properties and set it as a redirect page and pick somewhere else to go instead (and uncheck show in navigation)

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Apr-2013 00:00

Well

I stand by my request.

If 'Enable in-line editing' is set to false there should not be a 'Edit content directly browsing the site' link on the dashboard.

And yes I start complaining about the migration link on the dashboard again

a) 90% are probably new sites anyhow
b) According to upgrade instructions you cannot take 3.7 to 6.0 but have to go through 5.4 first. So how does the upgrade to lates version on a 6.0 installation work?
c) the migration module should be disabled by default -> see a)
d) when migration module is disable the dashboard link -> ugrade should be hidden (common you get two way sync to sharepoint but cant hide a div or link !)

Did I ever mention that I would like to start with pages since the dasbhoard is not helpfull to most of my clients - a jeah I think I did.

Well there is always hope for 6.1 

PS: Don't get me wrong guy n galls you did a wonderful job with 6.0 and SF is still the very very very best CMS out there. But sometimes the littel stuff is what bothers you the most :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 01-May-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

Quick comments:

a) 90% are probably new sites anyhow
- You are correct :)

b) According to upgrade instructions you cannot take 3.7 to 6.0 but have to go through 5.4 first. So how does the upgrade to lates version on a 6.0 installation work?
- Not true. We'll update the upgrade instructions.

c) the migration module should be disabled by default -> see a)
- I agree.

d) when migration module is disable the dashboard link -> ugrade should be hidden (common you get two way sync to sharepoint but cant hide a div or link !)
- Well, we'll probably remove it with the next update of the Dashboard. Actually, since this is a module, we'll probably place it around the Administration menu, if enabled.

Did I ever mention that I would like to start with pages since the dasbhoard is not helpfull to most of my clients - a jeah I think I did.
- We have big plans for the dashboard. I'll share just a bit of it - feeds with changes around the system. This is still to be planned tough. When we start with this task, we'll take care of the Migration link as well. 

Yes, you are right that the little things matter, but even the little things can break a huge story as Sitefinity 6.0. Big releases are not possible without focus :) There are tempting stuff to fix and improve here and there, but once again, focus is of greatest essence. Good thing is that we now enter in polishing phase again.

Thanks for reminding the little things. They matter. 

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2013 00:00

Dear Georgi

www.sitefinity.com/.../upgrade

Still shows that you have to go through 5.4. Can't be that hard to change in a flexible CMS :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2013 00:00

@Georgi

Two weeks after you mentioned that 3.7 can be taken to 6.0 streight the update page still shows 3.7 -> 5.4 -> 6.0

???

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 14-May-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

Thanks for noticing this. The documentation is wrong :-).

We are going to change it today. Migration from 3.x can be done directly to 6.0.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Dear Georgi

Thank's for changing. The update page is one of great importance. So keeping it up to date and correct is very very helpful.

Markus

Hi,

Couldn't agree more with you. Note taken.

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2013 00:00

Dear Georgi

Thank's for updating the instructions. I would be nice if one could also update 4.2 to the latest version :-)

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 31-May-2013 00:00

@Georgi

Why is it so hard for telerik to correct errors on your own site? Well it can not be the CMS because I know how easy Sitefinity is to use.

Two weeks ago I mentioned that the last step to 6.0 (see previous image) was missing. I don't know if you don't get mails georgi when we post (I even get my own repsonses :-()) or if you get to many other mails, or if the person responsable is on vacation or what ever.

Don't get me wrong. It's a minor issues and does not make any real difference. But I and other often take the time to report stuff and document them with screenshots and screencasts - some way of appriciation of this efford would be if we see that it matters.

Well is probably just not the focus. Like the roadmap. 4 weeks after 6.0 was released the roadmap still reads that 6.0 is planned for April.

I would expect something like. Roadmap 6.1 will be published soon. See what we have accomplished with our latest released and then keep the rest of it as is.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jun-2013 00:00

Hi Markus,

This time it's actually me, who is the guilty one. While I do reported about the direct upgrade, I somehow missed the error with the 4.2 path, although I did get a notification with a reply from you. The error is now corrected. Apologies for this..

Last week we have also pushed the roadmap for Sitefinity 6.1, you can find it here - http://www.sitefinity.com/product/see-also/roadmap

Thank you for your time. Let us know if we can be of further help. 

Regards,
Georgi
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jun-2013 00:00

I saw the 6.1-6.2 roadmap and there's still no mention of a dashboard. Can you please confirm we're going to have to wait until after 6.2 to receive a dashboard? This seems like 1.0 stuff!

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for asking about the Dashboard.
Yes, it is not included in the 6.1 release but we are planning to start working on it after we release 6.1 and our aim is to include it in the 6.2 release.

Thanks and regards, 

Antoaneta
Telerik

@Mark

Good things come to those who wait! So I am sure before this thread is 2 years old we see improvements there. 

@Antoaneta

Maybe it would be possible for 6.1 to squeeze in two little improvements

- Finaly remove the upgrade from 3.7 remark
- Hide the browse and edit stuff it inline editing is disabled

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2013 00:00

Hello Markus,

We appreciate the feedback. Both requests are very adequate, and we're actually currently working on them. At this point I cannot guarantee you that they'll be ready for 6.1, as the development plans for that release have already been agreed on (of course if we have the time we'd like to include them as well) but as work on these two items has already been set in motion, they should be part of the product in the soon upcoming releases.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2013 00:00

Dear Boyan

Thank's for the feedback. I thought Nov 2011 was enough time in advance to plan it :-)

Markus

This thread is closed