Redirect pages show in Navigation (only when ....

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 09:03

Redirect pages show in Navigation (only when ....

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

At the moment there is an option under Titles & Properties for Redirect Pages "Show in Navigation"

However if the page redirecting to is an internal page and has been set not to be shown in navigation then the redirect page is not shown even though the checkbox "show in navigatin is checked"

This is very confusing to clients.

Sometimes you have a navigation where you have multiple pages not to be shown in the main (or automatic) navigation but you might want to link to them anyhow.

So I think the right way to do this is

a) show the redirect page in navigation if show in navigation is checked
unless
1) the page redirecting to is not published
2) the user does not have rights on the page redirecting to
3) the page redirecting to is not currently scheduled to be shown.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Markus,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

At the moment this is the default behavior of pages that redirect to other pages, which are not  visible in navigation. However, I've logged your suggestion as a feature request, which will be considered for implementation from our developers team.

Kind regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2012 00:00

Dear Jen

Is there an PITS item for this were we can vote for?

Kind regards,
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Markus,

Here's the link to PITS.

All the best,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2012 00:00

Hey Markus, I ran into this issue today as well.  Not sure if you have been using built in controls or if you built your own navigation, but I found you can fix this by checking the following when you are writing out your links.

if ((smn.IsPublished() && smn.ShowInNavigation) || (smn.ShowInNavigation && smn.NodeType == NodeType.InnerRedirect))

The first part of my if is checking for published items that should show in the navigation.  The second part is checking for Inner Redirects that show in the navigation. 
It might be possible to extend PageSiteNode object to add a method that would do this check for all items that should show in the Navigation.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Aug-2012 00:00

@Brett
Thanks for the solution. I use the default SitefinitySiteMap.

@Telerik
Would it make sense to you that redirects internal and external would work the same way? 
If yes, could Bretts solution be implemented into 5.2 easely?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jan-2017 00:00

Its 2017 and this is still an outstanding issue that we have constant need of resolving.

We have landing pages that need to redirect to eCommerce pages, the eCommerce pages do not show in Nav as they are handled another way. Yet we cannot get our landing page redirects to show in the SF Nav, due to the outstanding issue sited here and other places.

A major problem for our SEO.

This thread is closed