Ecommerce - related products

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 15:25

Ecommerce - related products

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Feb-2012 00:00

Are there any plans on implementing a way of selecting related products for a product? This could then be used as "related products", "alternative products", "accessories" etc.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

That's a tough one, we do not offer such functionality yet, however thank you very much for pointing out the need for it. We have supplied customers with samples on how to achieve similar functionality for related videos, so I believe it is possible to help you achieve the desired functionality. Can you please fill us in with some more details on the desired criteria the related products should be picked? Thanks in advance and looking forwards to your reply.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

I would imagine it just needs a way for the administrator to launch a selector that lets them add multiple products, with the selector being able to search for and select products from the catalog. This should be from within the product detail edit page of the backend. The selected products should then be available to list and link to from within the product view template. 

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

A much easier way of achieving this would be to mark your related items with the same department, or any custom classification you can create. This way you can then easily modify the DetailsView to get the  classification of the currently displayed item, and bind a ListView (or whatever the preferred representation) with all products who have the same classification?

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2012 00:00

I don't think that's easier, especially from a user point of view. Each product is going to have half a dozen products that we would want to display as related products (whether they are accessories, alternatives, etc.). Creating different classifications for each product, and then tagging those related products with that classification... I can imagine that would be very messy very quickly. Unless I have misunderstood your suggestion, it seems to me we would be creating a classification for each product, and then adding that classification to any products that may be related. If this is the case then a product may end up 50 classifications against it. 

I think your suggestion would be ok in a solution where we are just showing the customer some alternatives from the same category, but in our solution we need to very specifically target certain products to show against others. 

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, you're correct, thank you for pointing out the exact use case scenario that needs to be achieved. Indeed the proposed solution would be quite easy to implement in case you are showing products that belong to the same category/department.
The desired scenario can be achieved if you have a custom field, with a products selector in its dialog, that could persist multiple products. However we do not offer such solution out of the box, so you'll need to implement something similar to the sample given in this forum thread, however you should work with a ContentSelector instead of the EditorContentmanagerDialog. I'll make sure to discuss the future implementation for such functionality out of the box with our eCommerce developers team.

Greetings,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed