Installer feature suggestion

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 23:47

Installer feature suggestion

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Aug-2013 00:00

Okay, peep this...

Right now a new project manager wipes _EmptyProject and puts in the latest.

What if instead if ARCHIVES the old _EmptyProject to like _EmptyProject_v6-1-4600-0 (or something like _EmptyProject\v6-1-4600-0), and the latest version just lives as it does now in the root _EmptyProject

Then in the UI you give us the ability to upgrade to different versions based on the versions we have available on the file system.

This would allow us to not always have to have every project in sync with the latest release, and perhaps even do upgrade steps on old projects...like if we inherit one.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Aug-2013 00:00

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Right now I assume you are always replacing your project managers correct? I think the idea behind the project manager is to keep them separate and excluded from each so you have folders for each. For example I keep all my project managers separate and when I upgrade that's when I make the location change.

You don't have to replace the project manager. They can be used side-by-side.

Regards,
Patrick Dunn
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Aug-2013 00:00

Yes because I want one sitefinity folder and one project file.  :) I don't want to have to maintain multiple project files and move projects between different managers. 

Why would you want multiple project managers that makes no sense...it's a shell to copy over some files.  It's not version dependent right...when you "upgrade" a project it's not connecting to it and running custom code.  That would be happening when the site itself fires up under the new version.

Therefore if the PM has a bug or gets new features, those are only available on the current PM version so all old sites wouldn't get access to those.

I'm not looking for a workaround as much as a feature request...

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Aug-2013 00:00

Dear Steve

Same as Patrick here .

I have folder

or whatever the numbers are. this is exactely the reason so I can update when ever I feel like it sites and have the sitefinity.exe at hand. Also since I need language files on every project I keep them in these seperate folders as well.

I would rather see a first time setup ask for e-mail settings wizzard (of course you could skip this)

Markus

If you read the request you'd notice that this is what I want to preserve...you of all people who complain about small inconsistencies should see the benefit in not having to constantly re-add projects to an empty project file everytime there's an update :)

If you're moving to 5.4-6.1, that's what..3 times you need to open project managers, and 3 times you need to add the site to the manager.  Would you not rather just have ONE manager which has all your projects and right-click to "Upgrade to 5.4", then "Upgrade to 6.0", then "Upgrade to 6.1", etc...perhaps smart enough to know it can't go right from 5.4->6.1sp1 (probably would work but you see what I mean)

It wouldn't modify those version folders, you wouldn't lose the language files if you put them in there...

Dear Steve

I can see what you mean but this would acutally save me 2 min out of at least 60 min update process.

So I defenitely would have other things higher on my wish list.

Markus

Sure, so lets stop requesting things because there's other things to work on

Hello Everyone,

Well let's open this thread for a discussion then and flesh out what feature's you'd all like to see in the project manager. I will get them logged as feature requests internally.

Regards,
Patrick Dunn
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed