Yet another migrating 3.7 to 4.2 question

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 23:42

Yet another migrating 3.7 to 4.2 question

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2011 00:00

i'm in the process of upgrading our 3.7 sp3 on .NET 3.5 to 4.2 on .NET 4 and need help for the plan.  I've seen in another post that it was recommended to go 3.7 SP3 .NET 3.5 to 3.7 SP4 on .NET4 > 4.0 > 4.1 > 4.2. Is this still the best plan or is it possible to just migrate to .net4 and then go all the way to 4.2?

1. When I upgraded this to 3.7, I only need to apply the patches to the code since it was an IIS hosted site to bring it up to date. I see now that the 4.2 is an installer and the project manager is a program. Is there a way to upgrade this on our development server and the three production servers in our web farm WITHOUT installing Sitefinity on every server?
2.I don't see a way to host the projects in IIS. Can you point me to there in the documentation? I see the requirements of IIS for Sitefinity but can't seem to figure out how to create a project in IIS since I've never used the project manager before.
3. I see the documentation here www.sitefinity.com/.../creating-and-running-projects-on-iis.aspx to install the project manager ONLY but I wasn't given that option during the install. The only options were for the documentation and the program itself. Did I miss something?

Obviously, our goal is to minimize developer time fixing issues so I would hate to have to have him fixing code at every step of the way so I'm hoping that once this is upgraded to 4, that there are only minor patches to apply. I also want to avoid having to give desktop access to the CMS on the servers to our developers and users.

Please help!

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Chris,

you do not need to start with 4.0 when migrating, in fact it is recommended that you start with the very latest 4.2 SP1 as that has the latest version of the migration module in it.

The 4.0 > 4.1 > 4.2 path is for upgrading sites that began from 4.0 initially. Since you're starting a new site import, you can start directly with the latest release.

The installer is not required at all for Sitefinity. you can simply download and run the Project Manager. This will create new Sitefinity projects without having to install anything on the server.

The project manager is available as a separate download in your account (look for a link that says "Browse all product files").

Once you have the project manager installed, take a look at the Sitefinity 3.x to 4 Migration Guide.

Here are a few more links you might find helpful:

Installing Sitefinity 4 on IIS 6
Installing Sitefinity 4 on IIS 7

I hope this is helpful, please let me know if you have more questions, and I hope you can share you feedback on your migration experience. Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Oct-2011 00:00

Thank you for the update. I'm running through the migration procedure and have hit a wall that appears to be an error in the code snippet to paste into the web.config on the 3.7 site. Here is the code in the guide:

<serviceBehaviors>
       <behavior name="Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration.MigrationServiceBehavior">
         <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="true" />
         <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="true" />
             <dataContractSerializer maxItemsInObjectGraph="2147483" />
       </behavior>
       <behavior name="">
         <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="false" />
       </behavior>

I'm receiving an error due to the <behavior name=""> being empty.
Exception message: The value for the property 'name' is not valid. The error is: The string must be at least 1 characters long.

Is this a mistake in this code or can you tell me what should be in there?

Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Chris,

The problem comes from the fact that in .NET 3.5 ( in .NET 4.0 you can ) the behavior string cannot be left empty. I suppose that you are using .NET 3.5. However we have fixed that for the internal build that we will release today.

In order to resolve the issue, please add for example "webby" between the quotation marks:

<behavior name="webby">
    <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="false" />
  </behavior>

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Oct-2011 00:00

i've followed the Migration instructions and have done the following:

1. Made a copy of the production site.
2. Added the migration zip file to the site and verified that I can get to mysite.com/MigrationService.svc
3. Copied all files to the new environment (Still with a blank project,i.e. no new data)
4. Logged in and visited mynew42site.com/.../Migration and upon testing connection, I get this error: 12031

I also get this on the top of my screen.

This module is in process of implementation and some operations might be unstable.
We recommend using this module only to migrate old data from Sitefinity 3.7, without having any data created in the new site.
Read the release notes in our website for recent implementations, improvements and bug fixes.

What am I doing wrong? Have I missed a step?

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Chris,

Can you explore your 4.2 installation and check for the Logs directory in App_Data/Sitefinity. Please send us the logs so we can have a look at them and see what error information has been recorded. The top message is displayed because the module is still in development.

Also have you modified your webconfig as stated in our documentation? I have not seen this step in the steps you posted.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Yes. The web.config has been modified per instructions.

Here is the error that I trapped just now when trying to test the connection to my 3.7 instance.

Timestamp: 10/19/2011 2:48:48 PM

Message: HandlingInstanceID: 7d8dfe24-7afa-4a27-befe-6fee0f0d3c06
An exception of type 'System.Web.HttpException' occurred and was caught.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/19/2011 09:48:48
Type : System.Web.HttpException, System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
Source : System.Web
Help link :
WebEventCode : 0
ErrorCode : -2147467259
Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
TargetSite : Void System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(System.Web.HttpContext)
Stack Trace :    at System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader.System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Additional Info:

I was able to establish a connection to the site via http even though we use https on the site.

Once I started the migration though, I received an error

Error: Could not find my37site.com/MigrationService.svc on the source site.
Migration stopped.

I am able to browse and open up that page on my own so I know that the URL is correct. It appears to be timing out. Any other way to troubleshoot this connection issue?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Chris,

Have you hosted both of your projects SF 3.7 and SF 4.2 on one and the same machine or they are on a different machines? The error that you receive says that the SF 4.2 migration service cannot find the SF 3.7 service. When you check whether migration service in SF 3.7 is up and running do you check that from the machine where the SF 4.2 project is hosted. If not can you please check that?

If you can give us access to the migration service of the SF 3.7 project that will help us a lot to detect whether it responses correctly.

Kind regards,
Lilia Messechkova
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Oct-2011 00:00

The two sites are both hosted on the same machine. I've modified my hosts file so that I know that it doesn't have any problems with firewall. I can hit and pull up the site FROM the machine that the 4.2 site is hosted at via my42site.com/MigrationService.svc.

If someone can provide me with an IP address to open up the firewall to on the outside to reach this, i can get you access to both the 4.2 site as well as the 3.7 site if needed.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Chris,

We've already replied to your ticket.

Greetings,
Pavel Iliev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2011 00:00

I am having the exact same issue. Both 3.7 and 4.2 are hosted on the same machine and when I am using the migration tool, I get a similar error....

"Error: Could not find http:\/\/130.94.74.50\/sitefinity\/MigrationService.svc\/MigrationService.svc on the source site. Error details:The requested service, 'http:\/\/130.94.74.50\/sitefinity\/MigrationService.svc\/MigrationService.svc' could not be activated. See the server's diagnostic trace logs for more information.
Migration stopped"

I have been at this for days now. Can anyone help me out?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Jake Dacillo,

Can you please check if WCF activation is enabled on your server?

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed