Migrating from 3.6 to 4.X

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 22:11

Migrating from 3.6 to 4.X

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Nov-2011 00:00

Good day.

We have been working with the 3.6 version for a long time, but now we want to migrate to the newest one. I was looking for information about how to make the migration and I found this post www.sitefinity.com/.../migrating-from-version-3-6.aspx  where you advice update to the SP4 version and .net4, I tried to follow the links looking for the patch or the installer but I cannot find them, can you please help me with this?

Thanks for your help

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Victor,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

If you want to upgrade your existing project to Sitefinity 4.3 first of all you’ll have to upgrade to Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 following these instructions and then you’ll be able to use our Migration tool to upgrade to Sitefinity 4.3. The reason why you have to upgrade to 3.7 is that the tool is not compatible with the previous version of Sitefinity 3.x.

For more information on how to do that you can watch this video:http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/gabesumner/posts/11-08-16/ready_to_upgrade_from_sitefinity_3_x.aspx. Moreover, you’ll be able to submit support tickets in case you encounter any difficulties during the migration process and our support engineers will be more than happy to assist you. Also you can always contact me and I will make sure that your request gets addressed promptly.

Also,  I encourage you to attend a special webinar that will demonstrate how to upgrade a Sitefinity 3.x web site to Sitefinity 4.x. This webinar will show how to use the migration tool to upgrade your web site to take advantage Sitefinity’s latest features

On a side note, I couldn't find a license activated under your account, could you please let me know who is the current license holder?

I hope that this information is helpful.Should you have further questions or concerns you can feel free to contact me directly at yana.shishmanova@telerik.com

Greetings,
Yana Shishmanova
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Yana,

I'm in a similar position where a client has requested an upgrade from 3.5 to 4.3. The website is compiled and I don't have the project files for the current 3.5 site.

The link you posted for the 3.X upgrade doesn't seem to link to the actual patch archive. Or am I just not looking in the right place?

The site itself doesn't use lots of features (pages, news and users) but it does have lots of pages. If this upgrade doesn't run smoothly (which seems likely), what other options are available to me? Would it be easy to hack the migration code so it can upgrade straight from 3.5 to 4.3 or is the object model very different between 3.5->3.7?

Alternatively how difficult would it be to write a sql script to do the export/import? Is there any documentation on how the database is structured that would help write a sql update?

Thanks
MIchael Jubb

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi,

That's a tough one, indeed migration scenario is supported from the latest Sitefinity 3.x version (3.7 SP4)  only. If you have purchased the product, you should find the latest version available for download from your Sitefintiy account, and can upgrade safely to it, following the instructions given here. Once you perform these steps you'll be able to migrate your project to Sitefintiy 4.3 version, following the migration guide.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed