Error: template SubPage failed to migrate. The related maste

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 15:54

Error: template SubPage failed to migrate. The related master page...failed to load

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Dec-2011 00:00

I am getting this error on three of my templates and I cannot figure out why these three are not migrating. Most of my pages rely on these templates. 

Is there a reason why these templates would not migrate?

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello,

Can you double-check if the master pages that the templates are based on are on the right place? Also, have you turned on the "Rewrite user control Register tags for not working controls " option? 
If these doesn't help, then I suppose you have bad HTML on the master page, but you will have to send it, so we can check it here. 
Another thing that I can suggest is to apply for our holiday upgrade contest:
http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/gabesumner/posts/11-12-15/your_holiday_gift_we_ll_upgrade_your_sitefinity_3_website_for_you.aspx 

Regards,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Svetoslav. I have checked the "Rewrite user control Register tags for not working controls " option, and I have checked the pages for bad HTML. And it still does not work. 

I sent both projects (3.7 and4.4) in last week. I still have no solution to this problem. 

Hopefully it can be resolved. I've been trying to figure this out for months, waiting on new versions hoping they would somehow resolve the issue. 

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Robert,

I believe my colleague Miroslava has informed you that you have been approved for our migration event, so your issue will be solved by our upgrading team. Can we close this ticket now, so that you can continue your communication with Miroslava? 

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jan-2012 00:00

Yes, you can close it. Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Svestoslav

I have the same issue where my templates fail to migrate. I've checked the 'Rewrite user control Register tags for not working controls' option.

Can you please help?
Yosief

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Yosief. I never actually fixed it myself. Telerik ended up doing it for me since I was admitted into their migration contest. 

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2012 00:00

Telerik guys... You seemed to have helped out Robert with his migration issue. We're experiencing the exact same issue. Can we either get some help or at least clear instructions on how to fix this issue?

Regards,
Jacques

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello Jacques,

Is there a chance that you could open a support ticket, so that we can discuss the problem and see how we can help you with the migration there?

Kind regards,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Svetoslav,

We actually managed to get past a certain point in the process by adding a blank master page, which the upgrade kept complaining about. The Blank.Master helped then we ran into the next problem which was with the rest of the master pages. So, we stripped out all the HTML in those pages and left only the content place holders and some basic elements like html, head, body and form.

This got us past that point, so we're doing better now.

It won't compile though and it would seem that our use of the InternalPage object to set Page Titles and Descriptions is causing the problem. In fact it seems that Telerik.CMS.dll has been replaced altogether. Have you got documentation that can help us migrate this code? (Where to look for issues where objects will no longer be backward compatible? )

Thanks,
Jacques

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Jacques,

All the available documentation on migration can be found here:
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/installation-and-administration-guide/migrating-your-sitefinity-3-7-project/ 

All the best,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Svetoslav, thanks for the response.

The migration part of the documentation seems to be slim pickings. It's either automated, which didn't work for us or manual, neither of which tells you how to deal with scenarios where you made use of the InternalPage object and what to replace it with?

Regards,
Jacques

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Jacques,

Actually, as far as I understand, your migration successfully passed, is that correct? The old APIs however, are not backward compatible, as this is not an update, but a migration to a "different" CMS (it is working in a completely different way). Having said this, your code will need to be replaced with the new APIs, which can be found in our documentation and also all references to old assemblies should be removed and you need to use only the new ones. For an examples of working with pages, here's the section that you can refer to:
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/developers-guide/sitefinity-essentials/pages 

All the best,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Svetoslav,

Actually you're wrong. It IS an upgrade from a customer's point of view NOT a migration. Just like your Sitefinity Version 5 is just a marketing gimic... it's actually V4.5, but hey, call it version 5 if it makes you happy. Perhaps you should spend less time in the marketing department and try spending more money on getting proper technical document writers.

You guys at Telerik don't seem to understand how much trouble this causes. You claim to have an easy upgrade (sorry migration) path, but the entire previous API is redundant. This means that moving from 3.x to 4.x carries a very heavy expense outside of the license fees you guys have come up with since version 4. It has made the upgrade process (sorry migration process) unpredictable at best.

Answer me this: We have a control that dynamically sets page properties such as titles, descriptions and the like.... does the link that you provided help explain how to move away from the InternalPage object and how to do it with the new API?

Jacques

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Jacques,

I am sorry to hear that you experienced discomfort with Sitefinity 4.x and we understand that Sitefinity 4.x's API is a lot different from the 3.x, but this was inevitable, as the whole way Sitefinity is working was changed between 3.x and 4.x. As for the creating/editing pages and their content, I think that these links should provide the information that you need:
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/developers-guide/sitefinity-essentials/pages/creating-pages 
http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/developers-guide/sitefinity-essentials/pages/modifying-pages 
If they don't provide the required info, please let me know what examples in specific you need.

Kind regards,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Mar-2012 00:00

Perhaps you can provide a link where you explain to Sitefinity developers that the Advanced URL Rewriter has been discontinued?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Jacques,

Thank you for that suggestion. We will take it into consideration when planning the update of our documentation.  

All the best,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2013 00:00

Make sure to copy the app_master folder from your 3.x install first before you try the migration, otherwise it will fail. Also, I found that if you have any broken tags or odd issues like duplicate ids between your asp.net tags and standard html tags those too can cause the migration to fail.

This thread is closed