UrlWebEditor?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 18:32

UrlWebEditor?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

I'm looking to emulate some functionality in Sitefinity 4.x from the old UrlWebEditor in 3.x. What I specifically need is a way to choose SWF (Flash) files on the server (not upload from the client, all I need is the ability to list the files/directories on the server and pick a url on the server for a SWF file with a file manager control) for some Widget controls for pages. I've looked into FileField in 4.x but it looks like the only types that are supported are images, videos, and documents, am I right in that assumption? 

Anyone know how to go about achieving this? I've looked into implementing my own control but am having some trouble getting this to work.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello John,

Do you need this functionality inside our RadEditor or do you want a field control for some content item that would let you select a file from the file system? I'm currently in the process of writing a series of blog posts about different field control selectors - I might write a post about selecting a physical file from the web project folders. Please give us more details so we could give you a good explanation.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2012 00:00

A field control would probably be the most optimal route at least I think. For the meantime (I did this yesterday) what I've done is implement a RadFileExplorer control with a search pattern of *.swf and it does what I need it to for today. I put it in my control's designer class and set the OnClientItemSelected to populate a text field I'm using to store the URL in the designer.

Another thing I've tried is changing the allowed extensions on videos to allow .swf files to be uploaded, which works and they store just fine in the system, but the silverlight player won't play them (which of course is expected since it's a video player lol) so they can't be previewed through Sitefinity itself, and if I try to store them in a library that's stored on the file system instead of in the database the entire filename is replaced with a Guid which would make it tougher for the client to know which flash file to select. The flash player we're using to play files expects a url to a .swf file so I'm sure you can see the dilemma there I'd have to write an entirely new player to support Sitefinity, or devise some classes that would extract the video out of the library and put them in a specific url, etc, that could get messy. So in my case I'm just having them upload .swf files directly to a specific directory through the RadFileExplorer control.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi John,

Yes, Silverlight cannot play Flash video files, because, well, one is Flash, the other is Silverlight. You can use some sort of hacks to embed the <object> HTML markup to embed Flash files in Silverlight though. You can use normal Document libraries to upload the Flash files instead - is this a viable solution for you?

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2012 00:00

Unfortunately not, if I'm using an embedded Flash player it's going to want to a real URL to the file. Sitefinity's methods are either store it in the database or store it in the filesystem and replace the entire filename with a Guid (not even the extension is preserved when I checked).

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2012 00:00

(Oops double posted)

This thread is closed