Users migrated but passwords not working..

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 09:47

Users migrated but passwords not working..

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,
I have migrated users from 3.7 sp4 website to 4.3 and then upgraded to 4.4. After which I have found the users were migrated, but their old passwords do not work and either does the password "password".
I have read a bunch of posts to see if I can reverse the salt and encryption to find out what the passwords have been changed to but it seems you can't..
What do you recommend??

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2012 00:00

ok, I have re-migrated my users using 4.4 and the passwords have appeared to come over but the membership provider they are in is the OpenAccessMembership37Provider.

Now the question is how do I make the OpenAccessMembership37Provider the default provider?
I tried adding the following in web.config:
 <membership defaultProvider="Default">
            <providers>
                <clear/>
                <add name="Default" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Migration.Security.Data.OpenAccessMembership37Provider, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
            </providers>
        </membership>

but I get the error:
Provider must implement the class 'System.Web.Security.MembershipProvider'.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello,

The reason we developed it is because 3.7 uses different authentication algorithms and approach from 4.x. The alternative option was to migrate the users in the default provider but with new passwords and then reset the passwords for all users from 3.7 which was not a good option, especially for sites with many users. With code you can "move" the users to the default provider but they'll not be able to log in and will have to reset their passwords. However, you cannot make the OpenAccessMembership37Provider the default one. You will either have to use both providers (this is recommended and causes no issues) or move your users to the default provider, losing their old passwords.

Kind regards,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Svetoslav,

Can you explain how to use both membership providers?

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jul-2012 00:00

Have you explain how to use both membership providers?  I am having the same issue with Sitefinity 5.1.  I have over 16000 users, would hate to deal with password resets.

Thanks David

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jul-2012 00:00

I got the user login control working now.  I had to select the membership provider under data for the control for anybody running into this issue.

Have to read up on the differences between the default provider and the OpenAccessMembership37Provider..

This thread is closed