Connection to 3.7 project has failed.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 08:36

Connection to 3.7 project has failed.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,

I'm using Sitefinity 4.4 and trying to migrate my 3.7 project.
My 3.7 project is on .Net 4 now and the project works and everything.

Now I'm running my Version 4.4 site that I've created, brand new project, and clicked on the Migration button on the dashboard, now it wants me to enter the sitefinity 3.7 url, username and password, I use http://localhost/xxxx and my admin username and password.

Then I get an error : Connection to 3.7 project has failed. 

Now if I give an incorrect username/password I get a message stating that the auth failed which is correct, so I think it can connect, there is something else wrong...
I'm clicking on the "Test connection" button every time.

Any help would be appreciated! Sooo close to migrate!!!

Kind Regards,
Gerrit

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Gerrit, do you have the 3.7 site running on IIS? The migration module likely will not function if the 3.7 site is running with Visual Studio or some other webserver; it needs to be on IIS.

What happens when you attempt to access the migration service page on the 3.7 site? you can access at /MigrationService.svc from the root of the 3.7 site. you should get the error
Exception Type: Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration.MigrationServiceException

If you get any other message there is an issue with the migration service setup... be sure to check this post for setup information: Migrating Sitefinity 3 to 4 Deep Dive: Preparation

hope this is helpful!

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi SelAromDotNet,

I was using that walktrough.
My Sitefinity 3.7 site is running through IIS.

I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see when I call the Migration service through my 3.7 project.

Kind Regards,
Gerrit

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

well that is indeed the correct error message. when you attempt to connect to your website with the sitefinity migration module in 4.4, are there any errors logged to the 3.7 log file? this is in the App_Data folder.

I would also suggest checking the Event Viewer in windows (under Administration Tools of the control panel) to see if anything is logged by IIS as an error.

Finally, firebug or chrome developer tools might also help you to catch the error as it happens, as well as the IIS log files themselves. For more information on this, take a look at the bottom section of this post Migrating Sitefinity 3 to 4 Deep Dive: Common Error Messages 

I hope this is helpful, let me know what you discover

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

I found that in my 3.7 project was some errors, fixed that and now its connecting.
Now when I want to do the merge, It gives an 500 error.

I went to the log file and found the follwoing:

xception Type: System.TypeInitializationException

Message: The type initializer for 'Telerik.Blogs.BlogManager' threw an exception.

Source: Telerik.Blogs

Stack Trace: 
   at Telerik.Blogs.BlogManager..ctor(String providerName)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration.MigrationStatisticsHelper.GetBlogsCount(String providerName, ContentProviderBase provider, Int32& blogPostCount)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration.MigrationStatisticsHelper.GetContentsCount(MigrationItemStatistics mic, IDictionary`2 allProviders)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration.MigrationService.GetStatistics()
   at SyncInvokeGetStatistics(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage41(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- L1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exception Type: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException

Source: Telerik.Cms.Engine

Stack Trace: 
   at Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager.OnInitialized()
   at Telerik.ManagerBase`1.Initialize()
   at Telerik.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName)
   at Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager..ctor(String providerName)
   at Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager..ctor()
   at Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager.get_Providers()
   at Telerik.Blogs.BlogManager..cctor()
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like the blogs give some problems, strange because I did not select to migrate it, we do not use the blogs module.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,
Gerrit

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi,

I came a bit closer to the problem, I went to my 3.7 project that I upgraded to .Net 4.0 and saw if I'm logged-in in the backend, the "Blogs" item is now gone, I think that is why the error appears.

My blogs dll version is : 3.7.2136.240.
Also checked, it is referenced in the web.config.

Why would this happen?

Please help, really need to get this to work!!

Kind Regards,
Gerrit

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Feb-2012 00:00

Gerrit,
It sounds like there is still an issue with registering the blogs module, did you go through each of the steps in this Sitefinity 3 upgrade guide..

If so, can you do a diff comparison of your website web.config file with the new_web.config file that is in the upgrade patch? my favorite tool is DiffMerge, which is free.

If you are still having issues after that, can you email me josh.morales at telerik.com and I will do my best to help you finish up the migration!

hope this is helpful!

This thread is closed