Question: Upgrade from 3.7SP4 to 4.x or 5.x?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 20:35

Question: Upgrade from 3.7SP4 to 4.x or 5.x?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Apr-2012 00:00

I am looking to upgrade a website form Sitefinity 3.7SP4 to a new version of sitefinity.  However I am having trouble finding documentation to compare 4.x to 5.x recently.  Which one is a better version to upgrade in your personal opinions?  Also can someone point me to documentation on both or comparing them both?

My web project has a few of custom controls and module/templates that would need to be moved over..  

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Apr-2012 00:00

Myron,

Sitefinity 5 is built on the same architecture as v4, as will future releases, so the only difference between the two is the added features, fixes, and performance improvements.

You are able to migrate from Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 directly to the latest version, so I definitely recommend you do that.

For more info be sure to look at the migration guide: http://www.sitefinity.com/resources/migration-guide.aspx

hope this is helpful; let me know if you have any questions along the way!

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Apr-2012 00:00

Would there be any complication to upgrade to 4.x and then in the future upgrade to 5.x?

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Apr-2012 00:00

There shouldn't be any complications, the project manager is designed to automatically update your projects.

However, the upgrade path requires you to do this sequentially, meaning you'll have to go up the chain each point release(4.1, 4.2, 4.3 etc) to get to the latest version.

It is therefore strongly recommended that you migrate directly to whatever the latest release happens to be, then upgrade as soon as possible to each next one when it is out.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-May-2012 00:00

Hi , I would just like to confirm whether you recommend to directly migrate from Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 to 5.0 or should I first upgrade my project from Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 to 4.4 . I am a bit doubtful about the direct upgradation to 5.0 because the upgradation document clearly mentions to do the upgradation sequentially i.e to  upgrade to Sitefinity 5.0 only if your project is currently using Sitefinity 4.4 or Sitefinity 4.3.. Kindly suggest ?

Also it will be really kind of you if you can provide me with a detailed steps for direct migration from 3.7 to 5.0 as I am new to this.

Thanks & Regards

Posted by Community Admin on 10-May-2012 00:00

moving from 3.7 to the current version of Sitefinity is a migration, and not quite an upgrade. So yes, if you are on 3.7 you absolutely can (and should!) go straight to the latest version.

AFTER you have moved away from Sitefinity 3.7 to the latest version (whatever that may be) you can only upgrade one or two releases at a time.

I hope that makes sense!

Posted by Community Admin on 11-May-2012 00:00

Thanks a lot ya :)

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2012 00:00

Hi,
As you had suggested, I have migrated the Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 to 5.0 , After the migration services were installed , as per the steps mentioned in this link, I created a new project in sitefinity 5.0 & then copied all the files from 3.7 project to the new project. Now I get this error:
"The constraint 'pk_sf_blogs' is being referenced by table 'sf_blogs_sf_permissions', foreign key constraint 'ref_sf_blgs_sf_prmssns_sf_blgs'.
Could not drop constraint"

Also would like to notify, initially when i in sitefinity 5.0 administrator I had pointed the sitefinity database to the one that was used for 3.7, but since tables sf_blogs , sf_libraries etc were already there it gave "There is already an object named 'sf_libraries' in the database" error . So I created a new database & assigned the sitefinity database to it.

Waiting for your reply.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Oct-2012 00:00

We'd like to migrate some 11+ instances of Sitefinity 3.7 to version 5.2.
The idea is to migrate all instances to a SINGLE database and then use the Multiple Site Management feature.
Does anyone know of a way to migrate to a single database?
If this is possible, what are the issues one should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is closed