Migrationg ascx controls from 3.6 to 5.2 - issues with prope

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 07:25

Migrationg ascx controls from 3.6 to 5.2 - issues with properties

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi

I am new to Sitefinity and have been asked to migrate a site from 3.6 to 5.2. The majority of the migration has gone very smoothly but I have an issue with existing ascx controls that I haven't been able to figure out.

When editing a control in 3.6 I can see and set control properties. Once these controls are migrated I no longer get the option to set these properties.

The properties have a Category attribute and the contols themselves inherit from UserControl.

Is there something that I need to do to this controls in order to view and set the properties in 5.2?

Any help much appreciated

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jan-2013 00:00

Should work the same as 3.x...except that every property is now a plain textbox instead of the dropdowns\etc (based on type)...

Can you attach a couple screenshots so I can see what you mean?  If your control has a designer attached then you'd click "Advanced" to get to the properties...otherwise they should just all show up.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jan-2013 00:00

Thanks for your response Steve. I've attached a couple of screen shots of the production site (v3.6) and of the new test site (v5,2). I've also included a snipit of the code behind for the control.

I thought maybe I needed to register the control in the web.config, but it is not in the config for the v3.6 site, so not sure if I'm on the right track there.

Do me a quick favour...in your 5.x settings click the A-Z icon at the top left, just doublecheck and make sure it's not in there somewhere just perhaps not in the assigned category.

Then try making a new test property

public string TestProperty get;set; build, then go back into the editor and see if that one shows up

Hi Steve

Checked again and the properties aren't there.

I added the new property but that doesn't show up either.

I've created a new user control to test as well, but I'm unsure what widget I need to drag onto the page to set up a custom control. Are you able to tell me which it  is?

So in addition to creating it, you know you need to register it too right? 
screencast.com/.../nivyNlsf

Have you done that?

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2013 00:00

Thanks Steve, I hadn't realised I needed to do that sorry.

I registered the existing control, deleted the control widget on the broken page and dragged a new instance from the toolbox, and the custom properties appeared.

I guess the migration can't have done this correctly as I have several custom controls that are broken with missing properties. At least I know now how to get them working.

Thanks for the help you have given me on this.

This thread is closed