Migrating when the new site is on a different server

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 00:02

Migrating when the new site is on a different server

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jun-2013 00:00

Our current 3.7sp4 site is on a web server with one hosting company. It is using SQL 2005, IIS 7. We want to migrate our site to the latest Sitefinity using SQL 2008 with a different hosting company. Both servers are managed, meaning I login to the server and get to IIS etc.
Is there anything special I need to do with the sites being on two different servers/SQL versions? I need to have this migration go fast and easy for it to be perceived as a success.

Thanks for any tips you can share!

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jun-2013 00:00

Hi,

To move the database data from one database on sql 2005 to sql 2008 expoer database script (the sql that can be used on another database to recreate the tables with data) in sql 2008.
Another way of moving the data is described in this article

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Nov-2013 00:00

Finally getting to really work on this. Would your recommendation be to take my 3.7sp4 site and move it to the new server doing the move from SQL 2005 to 2008 in the process then do the site migrate from there?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2013 00:00

Hello,

The migration from sql 2005 to sql 2008 is an option and yet the site can be migrated without moving from SQL 2005 to sql 2008 if not possible the site for sitefintiy 6.2 which will accept the migrated data can be running sql 2005.

The options are to migrate sitefinity 3.7 site from sql 2005 to 2008 or keep the version of SQL server used as database server 2005 and create the new sitefinity 6 site at sql 2005.
I recomend to move to sql 2008 to benefit from its improvements.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Oct-2017 00:00

We're moving a backup from one host to a new host.

We've successfully restored the web files to FTP and the DB.

I understand next step is to edit  ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/DataConfig.config

to point to the Database on the new host.

I've edited the original: 

<add connectionString="data source=sql5009.mysitepanel.net;UID=DB_A12F26_2008_admin;PWD=db_4sp3fundsS#_*;initial catalog=DB_A12F26_2008" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" dbType="MsSql" name="Sitefinity" />

with:

<add connectionString="data source=wwwwwwwww;UID=xxxxxxxxx;PWD=yyyyyyyyyyyyyy;initial catalog=zzzzzzzzzzz" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" dbType="MsSql" name="Sitefinity" />

where:

wwwww = IP addres of the DB
xxxxxx = Username to connect to the DB
yyyyyy = DB PAssword
zzzzzz = DB Name

The website still doesn't work. It's throwing the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Row not found: GenericOID@8f011a6 SchemaVersion id=d875511a-8a85-401c-b563-5ae0732150a0
UPDATE [sf_schema_vrsns] SET [connection_hash]=?, [last_upgrade_date]=? WHERE [id] = ? AND [connection_hash]=?
(set event logging to all to see parameter values)

Any suggestions on next steps?

This thread is closed