What are some of the reasons why user control properties don

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 22:36

What are some of the reasons why user control properties don't get migrated?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2013 00:00

I'm at a lost as to why one of my user control's public property values in 3.7 are not being migrated to 6.2. I don't have this issue with lots of other user controls.

I can see the value of the public property in the 3.7 database table sf_CmsControlProperty.
I cannot see the value in the 6.2 database table sf_control_properties (I assume this is where it goes).

The page and user control are migrated correctly, In fact I can edit the page and control, and type in a value. Save the page. Then check the 6.2 database table sf_control_properties. There I can see the new value I just entered. There are three rows in the database table representing the new value I just entered... which I find a bit weird too. Why not just one row?

I tried all sorts of things... can't get this resolved.

Thanks.
Michael

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2013 00:00

Hello Michael,

The user control properties that are not migrated must be properties of widgets that are not of the widgets that are migrated by sitefinity from 3.7 to 6.x versions (widgets that are available in both versions) or the properties that are not migrating are not properties available for the same widgets in sitefinity 6.x version.

Please let me know what properties for which widgets are not migrated? If the widgets which properties are not migrated are custom versions of the built in widgets for sitefinity 3.7 (like customized widget for displaying news) which was added additional properties to serve specific case those additional properties are not to be detected by the migration as properties for news widget, in this train of tough this will be the same for other customized widgets.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2013 00:00

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply. I asked a somewhat similar question in the official support channel. Maybe I was not clear here and in my official support ticket. I think both of you are wrong. It's not true that custom controls/widgets properties won't get migrated. If both totally custom controls/widgets in 3.7 and 6.2 have the same public property, the value will get migrated. BUT there appears to be some conditions. In 3.7 the public property must not access any other controls. It has to have simple getter and setter. My guess is that it is due to the way the template (ascx) is being loaded, that the controls are not initialized. Also some data type of those properties matter.

Anyway, for now I'll make do with what I have. There will be more manual migration steps.

Thanks,
Michael

This thread is closed