ERROR occured during the migration of blog

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 15:40

ERROR occured during the migration of blog

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jan-2014 00:00

I am attempting to migrate a 3.7 site to 6.3 and I have run into an issue importing the Blog entries from the old site to the new.

When I go through the migration page and attempt to import the blog I receive the following message that import has failed. It does successfully migrate the blog metadata and categories.

ERROR occured during the migration of blog My Blog Name

After digging through the migration logs I believe this is the "fatal" issue however I don't know how to get around it. 

----------------------------------------
Timestamp: 12/31/2013 9:07:48 PM

Message: HandlingInstanceID: a08b8f16-2c2d-4813-a9de-9b8e8290a170
An exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred and was caught.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
12/31/2013 16:07:48
Type : System.Net.WebException, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Source : System
Help link : 
Response : 
Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
TargetSite : Byte[] DownloadDataInternal(System.Uri, System.Net.WebRequest ByRef)
HResult : -2146233079
Stack Trace :    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadDataInternal(Uri address, WebRequest& request)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadData(Uri address)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Migration.Strategies.StrategyHelper.GetObjectFromService(String endpointUrl, Type objectType, WebClient proxy)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Migration.Strategies.StrategyHelper.GetObjectFromService(String endpointUrl, Type objectType, String username, String password)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Migration.Strategies.Blogs.Operations.BlogsCreateOperation.GetMigrationBlog(Guid id, String name, String providerName, String language, MigrationSettingsExtended settings)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Migration.Strategies.Blogs.Operations.BlogsCreateOperation.Process(OperationContext context)

Additional Info:

MachineName : SCENARIO77
TimeStamp : 12/31/2013 9:07:48 PM
FullName : Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=6.3.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563
AppDomainName : /LM/W3SVC/4/ROOT-4-130329974399731235
ThreadIdentity : admin
WindowsIdentity : NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Requested URL : localhost:8091/.../
----------------------------------------

This error indicates a timeout however it seems to fail after only about a minute which seems awfully quick for a timeout. 

As a bit of background, I have successfully migrated (using the Migration tool) all of the other content (News items, Events, templates, users). The only content that refuses to budge are the Blog entries. 

It's important to me that we are able to use the migration utility as there are over 500 blog entries and about 100+ comments (which may be part of the issue). Manually entering all of the blog posts is a non-starter. I understand that we could write a blog import utility ourselves but there are issues with pulling images and losing old URL's so I'd really like to get the magical migration utility to work :)

I am also opening a support ticket with Sitefinity so if I get a good answer from them I'll post that here as well. 

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2014 00:00

Ok, I received two tips from Sitefinity on how to address the issue. 

One was to add/modify the following items in the web.config

<system.serviceModel>
    <bindings>
      <basicHttpBinding>
        <binding name="basicHttpBinding" maxReceivedMessageSize="2147483647" maxBufferSize="2147483647" SendTimeout="15:10:00">
            <security mode="None"/>
        </binding>
    </bindings>
</system.serviceModel>

This didn't help me but I am offering it for the sake of completeness 

The second item that did work was to ensure that when doing the migration that the database of the old 3.7 site should run on a local instance of SQL and not out on a server on the interwebz. 

Once I pulled a backup and restored on my local SQL server the migration worked like a charm. 

This thread is closed