Product URLs with dates in? Why? How to remove?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 11:46

Product URLs with dates in? Why? How to remove?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

Apologies if this has already been discussed and solved elsewhere, I did search but couldn't find a solution.

The URLs that get generated for the product pages have the published date in them (e.g./product/2011/11/08/apple), which is a bit odd for a product URL (what was the thinking behind having them like that? What relevance does the publish date have for products? Also it puts the product name five levels down in the URL which isn't ideal for SEO)

So I need a way to get that date out of the URL. I searched, found and tried both these methods:

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/e-commerce/change-the-url-of-product-detail.aspx

but neither solutions worked.

Any suggestions? Are the suggested solutions above still applicable for 4.3? (the post says about having to publish existing products again to get the new URL, but there is no Publish option for products, only Save. I've tried Saving again, and creating new products, but the date still appears in the URL from the product listing)

thanks
Pete

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Nov-2011 00:00

Ok, I've got it working now. Bizarrely I tried the same suggestions again (adding the custom provider) and it worked this time... really not sure why it worked, second time lucky I guess.

This thread is closed