A (belated) Christmas wish list...

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 12:43

A (belated) Christmas wish list...

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2011 00:00

First of all, congrats on squeezing in an extra release between the normal schedule and introducing so many (familiar ;) ) bug-fixes and some amazing new improvements! 

The attribute/variation is already looking sweet and promising for the next version, and many improvements have been introduced for the checkout process. Speaking of next versions, I wanted to list some feature requests:

---
Variation add-on SKU instead of replacement SKU.
Often with an attribute like 'size' you'd ideally be looking for an addition to a SKU instead of replacing the original SKU and forcing the user to retype the entire SKU for each variation.
For instance if a base product is a shoe with SKU "871123421" For shoe-size 29, the variation SKU would be "29" and not "871123421-29". Ideally on the attribute page, you'd have a radio button allowing you to add to or replace the SKU.

---
Variation as an option not a requirement.
Currently in the (V1) release, once a variation is created, one is no longer able to 'select' the base product. If the variations are set inactive, one is able to select the base product again.
Ideally there would be an setting somewhere allowing the admin to select if 'base products' are selectable (making variations optional and not mandatory).

Imagine a bookstore, paperback is base product, hardcover is a variation. Or some generic store, which has 'gift-wrapped' as a variation. This would be the logical behaviour as well since the prices are listed as an 'add-on' with a + sign on top of the base product.

---
Move 'Apply taxes to shipping' from tax method to individual shipping methods.
Currently taxation of shipping costs are done across the board, if you check the box in the tax method, all shipping options are taxed. While Fed-Ex and UPS indeed can/should be taxed (in Netherlands), when I send something through regular postal mailservice it shouldn't be taxed.

With more exotic shipping methods in the pipeline, I think the best option would be to allow for each individual shipping method to determine if it should be taxed or not.

---
Add 'store pick-up' as a shipping method.
Speaking of 'exotic' shipping methods, I'd like to have this one in the system. It's a unique one that breaks the checkout system, but it's an important one in my opinion.

---
If local shipping methods exist, don't display internation methods during checkout. Currently if I have a shipping method for 'Netherlands' and a shipping method for 'International', during check-out (to the Netherlands) both options are displayed. The international option is basically redundant because:
A) since I defined a local shipping method, that's my preferred method of sending.
B) international shipping is likely to be more expensive so it won't be chosen by the user.

Now with 2 shipping methods, it's not much of an issue but if I have 5 Fed-Ex options, 5 UPS options and 3 local options, it is getting cluttered.

---
Add 'EU' as a shipping area.
The local country sort of allows us to restrict to selling just the country where the store is located, but there's no option to restrict sales only to the EU.

---
Product localization should support different currency, mass and length units.
Currently the product localization is restricted to text-fields, ideally we'd be able to localize mass and length units aswell (cm in Dutch vs inches in English).

---
'active' orders vs 'older' orders.
Currently orders in the order overview widget are split between ‘active’ and ‘older’ for which the criteria seems to be ‘Mark as shipped’ from the backend. However ‘shipped’ and ‘paid’ still classifies as ‘pending’ in the overview. 

But even so, a separation between active and older orders shouldn’t be done on ‘shipped’ or ‘paid’. Digital products (read downloads) are never ‘shipped’, nor traceable if they’ve ever been downloaded by the client. ‘Paid’ is also not a good definition to separate between active and completed orders, because sometimes bank transfers or Cash on Delivery can happen after shipping. 

Preferably if one has to make a distinction now (until status is more functional and multi-lingual) the status, which one can select in the BE, should be changed to ‘active orders’ and ‘completed orders’.

---
Reporting.
As a follow-up on the previous request, currently the reports in the BackEnd includes only orders that have been marked 'Paid'. Ideally this would be a user defined filter.

---
Introduction of a 'store location' module.
Currently the product listing and check-out is done 'static', based on the tax-method defined in the ecommerce settings. This tax-method is based on a country of origin (store location).
Every brand/company with multiple outlets/office locations is currently restricted to 'selling' from that single point of origin. (either local in combination with store-pick-up, or worldwide)

Ideally we'd have a store location module, where we can define one/many store locations (with one base location). During the check-out proces, the system tries to match the country with the location and uses the taxation accordingly. If none is found, the base location is used.

In future version, the store locations will define the shipping countries they supply. For instance, the UK office ships for entire Europe, the US office ships for the Americas and the Bulgarian office ships the rest of the world.

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Jochem,

Please find my answers below -

Variation add-on SKU instead of replacement SKU.
We do have plans for a feature in variations called "SKU Builder" which will let you define SKU's of variations in different ways. Although this feature will not be in the Q1 release, it is something we are looking to add to the product soon.

Variation as an option not a requirement.
We have plans of making options to be used as "add-ons". Please follow our roadmap on when this will released.

Move 'Apply taxes to shipping' from tax method to individual shipping methods.
I have added a PITS feature request for this. Here is the link for you to follow the issue status. PITS

Add 'store pick-up' as a shipping method.

I have added a PITS feature request for this. Here is the link for you to follow the issue status. PITS

If local shipping methods exist, don't display internation methods during checkout.
I have submitted to be reviewed by our Ecommerce team, please follow the status in PITS

Add 'EU' as a shipping area.
Can you explain this issue in more detail? I am not sure I follow your request here.

Product localization should support different currency, mass and length units.
Yes, we do have plans to support multiple currencies, mass and length units. Please follow our roadmap on when this will be released.

'active' orders vs 'older' orders.
 Thank you for your suggestion here, I have submitted this issue to be reviewed by our Ecommerce team, please follow the status in PITS

Reporting.
 We have plans to revamp reporting and add more reports to the Ecommerce module. Please follow our roadmap on when this will be released.

Introduction of a 'store location' module.
 We will be adding ability to add multiple store locations to the Ecommerce module this year. Please follow our roadmap on when this will be released.

All the best,
Venkata Koppaka
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2012 00:00

Hey Venkata,

Sorry to keep you busy with the knuckle head stuff, but thanks for replying! You asked to explain the 'Add EU as a shipping area' further...

Currently there are 3 "area's" you can select from: Local, International or Selected countries.
For me there are three reasons why I'd like the "EU" as an option as well.

---
First, the "local" option sort of allows me to restrict shipping to just the country I'm based in, which is ideal for small businesses. The logical next step (for a European company) would be to  serve Europe. Currently if I wanted to ship to all the EU countries, I'd have to manually select them from the dropdown.
---
Secondly, the "EU" is an economic entity, with certain rules regarding taxation, so it makes sense to have this as a seperate option for scenario's in combination with an altered checkout to allow for VAT-numbers.
---
Thirdly, most international companies separate between "US" and "Europe". Almost all global brands have a US-presence and a European-HQ somewhere. It makes sense that "US" orders are shipped from the US-HQ and European orders are shipped from the European-HQ.

Shipping companies divide the world in a similar way. With European shipping services and US/Global shipping services. So it would be user-friendly to have such an option available.

(Take a look at this UPS 2012 rate document for instance, Dutch sorry) on page 3 you'll see EU shipping and on page 4 a seperate section for North America. I'm sure over there in the US, they'll have similar separation).

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Jochem,

Thank you for taking time to explain your feature request. I will make sure the team knows and understand the request.

All the best,
Venkata Koppaka
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed