Additional properties for product variants

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 16:30

Additional properties for product variants

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2012 00:00

What is the "best practice" in the Sitefinity Ecommerce package for determining properties of a product variant other than price diff and sku?  For example:  The white color shirt is out of stock but the red shirt is not.  Or, the large widget weight is 10 lbs greater than the small widget.

Is there a plan to allow custom fields on a variant or is the answer always that you have to set up a separate product to maintain this info in addition to the variant?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello,

We are planning to have inventory intergrated into the eCommerce module in the future.  Currently it is only possible to associate custom fields with products variations.

The best way to maintain this type of information would be through a product custom field.

I have submitted your feature request in PITS. You can vote for its popularity and raise its importance.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions.

All the best,
Grace Hallwachs
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Mar-2012 00:00

As far as I can tell, there isn't a rhyme or reason behind the order the variations are saved.  I have a product with two variations; color and collar size.  Each variation appends a value to the base product's SKU.  Example: Product SKU is TO111, the next two digits are determined by the selected color and the last two by the collar size.  I found out there was an additional option for collar style and appends two more digits to the end of the SKU.  I added the style attribute and then the variation to the product.  It saved the collar style after color but before collar size.  Therefore, on the product detail page, the drop down for collar style appears in the middle.  I was counting on being able to construct the SKU based on the order the option drop downs appear on the page but I don't see anyway of setting the order in the back end.  The rules change by brand, product type, etc so it would be best to avoid hard coding what the order should be.  Is there a reason you can't order variants in Sitefinity?

As for my original question, I guess I really don't understand your answer.  I was hoping for more direction on how to use the variants function in a real production environment.  Best I can tell you have to create a separate product in addition to a variation and tie them together somehow.  If this is documented somewhere, I apologize for my lack of Google skills but would someone post a link?  If that is the case, I guess my question above would be solved by searching the product list with the selected options to find the product's SKU.

thanks,

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello,

I apologize for any confusion. Let me clarify.

Sitefinity currently only allows custom fields to be associated with product types. It is not possible to associated custom fields with product variations.

Currently ordering of product variants is randomly chosen so the order is undetermined. In the up and coming service pack, we have added functionality that will order the product variations by date created. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

Please let us know if you have anymore questions.

Kind regards,
Grace Hallwachs
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed