Managing Product Variations

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 12:42

Managing Product Variations

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Oct-2013 00:00

With 6.1, a ton of variations are necessary if a product has 2 or more attributes. As a user, if you have zero variations created, there is a generation link that can create the initial batch. If you have some already, you have to manually create them. What happens when my client needs to add or edit the price on all 57 Medium variations since Size is the only attribute that affects price? There is no search or sorting capability in the backend list, so they have to go through each one and edit the price if it changes. Or the image, or sku - which thankfully my client doesn't need. I realize this is an essential feature for some who track inventory, but what about the rest of us?

Additionally, the front end product detail cascades the variation dropdowns and loads them odd. Post backs and losing the options in attribute 2 and 3. Just shows select and the selected option once picked. If you want to change your choice, you have to click select and wait for the post back for the dropdown to rebind.

Also lost ability to show price differential in the dropdown itself, since it's conceivable that all Sizes aren't the same price diff. But what if they are, the only solution would be to not show it and have the label populated once picked, put the info in the product description, or setup the variation text with - $20 or + $20 in the title. If the price changes, one more field X 57 to edit.

One possible workaround would be to create a control where you can bulk update a variation field on a specific attribute - say enter x $ amount for all Medium attributes, but that is not a trivial task. And what if a new attribute or variation is needed?

Anyone have any insight, suggestions, solutions?

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi,

The update of product variation is indeed blocked by the lack of search or sort in variations and for this
 I have logged a feature request for this, here is the feature request in PITS.
To perform updates to variations in batch I can recommend creating a query for product variations using product variations API.
A custom control that can be placed on designated backend page created from Administration->BackendPages to support managing variation updates. One way is to enter variation name in textbox and apply logic to update all variations of this type applied to Book products or else.

Additionally, the front end product detail cascades the variation dropdowns and loads them odd. Post backs and losing the options in attribute 2 and 3. Just shows select and the selected option once picked. If you want to change your choice, you have to click select and wait for the post back for the dropdown to rebind.
The inability to save the variations in ViewState of the page is to assure no incorrect addition of incorrectly configured or previously configured set of variations will occur. If needed to have the variation be saved in viewstate of the page custom variations control needs to be implemented to support this, if this persistence of selected variations is needed please let me know.

I am failing to understand the below question to properly address it, can you elaborate additionally on it?
Also lost ability to show price differential in the dropdown itself, since it's conceivable that all Sizes aren't the same price diff. But what if they are, the only solution would be to not show it and have the label populated once picked, put the info in the product description, or setup the variation text with - $20 or + $20 in the title. If the price changes, one more field X 57 to edit.

When there is a variation for lets say different sizes and color and the variation combination is Color: green Size: M this and this variation increases the price +3 $, however having the variation Color: green increases the price + 5 $ and the variation combination doesn`t present a sum of single variations, but renders a set of all variations selected which either disables variation selection dropdowns which are not relevant to current selections.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Oct-2013 00:00

A code sample of doing the bulk update would be nice. It would make sense to be in a product's variations already so the product doesn't have to be picked. None of my products in a product type have exactly the same attribute variations so needs to be at a product level.

The inability to save the variations in ViewState of the page is to assure no incorrect addition of incorrectly configured or previously configured set of variations will occur.
I don't follow what this means. I just want a smooth user experience and you have to admit this behavior is odd. Dropdowns should have all the values in them before, during and after being picked.

I am failing to understand the below question to properly address it, can you elaborate additionally on it?
I just want to see the price in the dropdown for the different sizes: S -$20, M, L + $20 like my client is used to. I realize this doesn't work if other attributes affect price, but my situation, and probably a majority of them do not change in combination. Size is usually consistent, and Variation 2 item that could change price is consistent across the board - like Color Red is +$10. Your system used to show this price diff in the dropdown. The label that populates AFTER selection is an extra step for the user.

These variation dependencies should be OPTIONAL. Thus we could have the best of both worlds. The clients who need to track inventory can do all this mess, the rest of us can just setup the dropdown values once.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2013 00:00

I am also interested in allowing users to choose variations without the post back and losing of the options in the previous variation dropdown.
-Ted

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Nov-2013 00:00

Hi,

Wrap the markup in the template for products widget in sitefinity update panel to perform ajax addition of variations. Here is a blog post that explains how to use this control.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Nov-2013 00:00

Stanislav,

Is a code behind necessary for this to work? I checked include radscript manager on the page settings itself. I added an update panel to the single product template but get an error and the attribute values and price update don't work correctly, although don't get a post back:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'dispose' of null VM94:1(anonymous function)VM94:1Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager._updatePanelScriptResource.axd?d=YqsoJl6iPSrLtChI6ChxWnR1s3VzxBC2n_TPz-xp1hEaCrCwllSnT59piyFkjnQCMqQE0aho-DzqWh…:1Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager._scriptIncludesLoadCompleteScriptResource.axd?d=YqsoJl6iPSrLtChI6ChxWnR1s3VzxBC2n_TPz-xp1hEaCrCwllSnT59piyFkjnQCMqQE0aho-DzqWh…:1(anonymous function)ScriptResource.axd?d=V44kf_kXLvD_Ffuz-Ts7CuM0y6-5ViELCL-7qDlz6P5eKtmBYyXl3eEudaulE639iTcwusXJAf_UpN…:1(anonymous function)ScriptResource.axd?d=V44kf_kXLvD_Ffuz-Ts7CuM0y6-5ViELCL-7qDlz6P5eKtmBYyXl3eEudaulE639iTcwusXJAf_UpN…:1Sys._ScriptLoader._loadScriptsInternalScriptResource.axd?d=YqsoJl6iPSrLtChI6ChxWnR1s3VzxBC2n_TPz-xp1hEaCrCwllSnT59piyFkjnQCMqQE0aho-DzqWh…:1Sys._ScriptLoader._scriptLoadedHandlerScriptResource.axd?d=YqsoJl6iPSrLtChI6ChxWnR1s3VzxBC2n_TPz-xp1hEaCrCwllSnT59piyFkjnQCMqQE0aho-DzqWh…:1(anonymous function)ScriptResource.axd?d=V44kf_kXLvD_Ffuz-Ts7CuM0y6-5ViELCL-7qDlz6P5eKtmBYyXl3eEudaulE639iTcwusXJAf_UpN…:1Sys._ScriptLoaderTask._scriptLoadHandlerScriptResource.axd?d=YqsoJl6iPSrLtChI6ChxWnR1s3VzxBC2n_TPz-xp1hEaCrCwllSnT59piyFkjnQCMqQE0aho-DzqWh…:1(anonymous function)ScriptResource.axd?d=V44kf_kXLvD_Ffuz-Ts7CuM0y6-5ViELCL-7qDlz6P5eKtmBYyXl3eEudaulE639iTcwusXJAf_UpN…:1b

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2013 00:00

Can I get a response? The post back kicking the page to the top for each dropdown selection is awful. But with the update panel the correct items don't show up in the dropdowns and the price differential label doesn't show.

This thread is closed