Change Product Type

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 13:40

Change Product Type

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2014 00:00

Hi

Is it possible to change a product's 'product type' after creation, or do I need to delete and recreate with the other 'product type' from scratch?

Thanks

Cheers
Richard

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2014 00:00

Hi Richard,
You don't need to delete it and recreate it again. Using the Sitefinity API you can change a product type easily. Please take a look to the following link in the online documentation:
Modify product type

Kind Regards,
Junior Dominguez
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Oct-2014 00:00

Don't see where to start a new thread, so ...

I am overhauling an older Sitefinity site using the ECommerce module for driving our Product Catalog.

We manufacture Firefighting Hardware, ie Hose, Foam, Pumps, Monitors, Nozzles, etc. We also offer Services such as Active Firefighting Response, Training, Risk Assessments, etc.

Would I use "Product Types" to categorize our Hardware products form one another - or is the Product Type a higher level "differentiator" between our Hardware and Service items?

** I do want to categorize my Hardware products for sorting / segmentation of product searches by category, ie Nozzle, Hose, etc.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Oct-2014 00:00

Hi Brent,

Defining a product type allows you, as you said, to differentiate the kind of product you have -- it could be a shippable product, or downloadable, or just a service. You can find detailed information about Product Types in Sitefinity on this link of our online documentation:

http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/developers-guide/sitefinity-essentials/modules/ecommerce/product-types

Additionally you can use the Department or Tag fields to organize your products as showing in this video:

Creating and Managing Sitefinity Product Types

Best Regards,
Junior Dominguez
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2015 00:00

Back to the original question.  Can you change the product type of a product that already exists.  

The answer provided does not answer this question.  It answered how to programatically change a product type itself.   

In sitefinity I see product types as buckets.  When you create a product you have to indicate what bucket you want to put it in.  The question is can you later switch the product to a different bucket.  

So far I haven't seen how you can do this.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jul-2015 00:00

Hi Richard,

Yes, it is possible to change the name. Please take a look to this video.

Best Regards,
Junior Dominguez
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed