Upgrade to 4 from 3.7

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 21:33

Upgrade to 4 from 3.7

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

What is the proper steps to upgrading a site from 3.7 to Sitefinity 4? 

I've been trying to use the tool code migration tool @ codeplex and have multiple errors and have never been able to get it to successfully import a project.

I just ran across the below link now.  Is this the proper upgrade method? 
http://www.sitefinity.com/4.0/documentation/installation-and-administration-guide/upgrading-sitefinity-projects.aspx

We have 3 user controls that do not call any of Sitefinity's API's.  We also use multiple masterpages with custom themes and the masterpages do have some code behind (limited). 

I really would like to be able to just say "upgrade" and have it perform the upgrade for us.  That migration tool at codeplex has been a nightmare so far. 

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Eric Krauska,

The link that you posted is for upgrading Sitefinity projects in the 4.0 tree - that is from 4.0 RC1 to 4.0 RC2 for example. What problems do you have with the migration tool? The themes/templates/pages are kind of hard to be migrated properly as there is too much custom behavior in them, that is very hard to be handled. If you have the log file from the migration process please send it to us.

Greetings,
Lupi
the Telerik team

It will be later today before I can pull the migration logs, but I can say for certain that it gives exceptions when migrating the users and then stalls when importing images.  I don't believe it ever gets to the pages and templates.

How does Telerik recommend migrating a site that contains over 200 pages that use 5 different templates with 2 different themes?

Below is the contents of the log:

Getting content counts...

Adding cultures...
Added "english".
Added "spanish".
Added "french".
Added "german".
Added "bulgarian".

Restarting the application... done.

Importing 2 user(s)...
Error migrating user admin:

The type initializer for 'Migration.Classes.MigrationUsers' threw an exception.   at Migration.Classes.MigrationUsers.ImportUser(MigrationUser userContent)
   at Migration.MigrationModule.ImportUsers()

Error migrating user ***removed***:

The type initializer for 'Migration.Classes.MigrationUsers' threw an exception.   at Migration.Classes.MigrationUsers.ImportUser(MigrationUser userContent)
   at Migration.MigrationModule.ImportUsers()

Importing 1 image, 0 document and 0 video libraries...

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Eric Krauska,

As you see the migration tool is adding 5 languages to your site. Do you actually use these languages in your Sitefinity 3.7 site? I think the default web.config for 3.7 had these languages as an example, but they are not actually used. Please, just leave the language that you are actually using (most probably "en") - this is done in this key in the web.config file:

<localization defaultProvider="Sitefinity" persistenceMode="PathPrefix" defaultCulture="en" cultures="en">

There are some issues with multilanguage sites and the migration tool - basically if you have several languages it is better to first add them manually through the backend and then run the tool. Aslo, please note that Sitefinity 4.0 doesn't support specific culttures like en-US, yet, so please specify just two-letter codes, like en, es, etc.

Best wishes,
Lupi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2011 00:00

Well, setting the localization to en only assisted with importing of users, but it still fails on Image import.  I'm extremely disappointed in Telerik's migration path to upgrade to 4.0.  I have a customer that is waiting on me to perform this upgrade and it continues to fail, so consequently they are extremely upset.  I'm to a point where Telerik needs to step up and perform this upgrade for us considering I was told that this would be a simple upgrade by our sales person when I asked if we should wait to do the project for 4 to be released. 

Below is the migration log

Get CountsBegin MigrationMigration Log

Getting content counts...

Importing 2 user(s)...
Skipping "admin", already exists.
Imported "**removed***".

Importing 1 image, 0 document and 0 video libraries...

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Eric,

I sent a reply to your support request.

Regards,
Liubomir
the Telerik team

This thread is closed