IS SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Good Enough

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 19:29

IS SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Good Enough

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2011 00:00

I just realized that Sitefinity 4.0 does not support SQL server 2000 at this time.  I also realized that I cannot restore a 2008 backup onto a SQL 2000 server.  How large can I expect the average large Sitefinity db to grow to over time?  Is the 10GB limitation of SQL Server Express 2008 R2 going to be a problem?  What about performance?  Could you give me any examples of a large Sitefinity site running on Express?

Abraham

IMO, the only thing that will cause your DB to bloat that large will be storing Images\Documents into the database via the libraries...and as of right now that's the only place you can store them until they re-impliment the FileSystem provider or the AmazonS3 (RackSpace CloudFiles?) Providers...

Hi Steve,

Running large corporate websites on the SQL Express editions is not preferred. For large websites it is better to use dedicated servers.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Yeah, that would be nuts, I assumed he meant shared hosting

I am talking about running an installed instance of SQL Server Express 2008 on a dedicated server with the database running as a normal attached database in SQL.  Why would that be nuts? 

The only limitations on SQL Server Express 2008 are 1 CPU, 1 GB of RAM and 10 GB of storage.  Is one of those a problem?

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2011 00:00

I think what they mean is that performance-wise, SQL Express is not designed to maintain high server loads from a busy website. It's great for small sites on shared hosting, and I don't believe there is anything in those limitations that will prevent Sitefinity from running.

I think old versions limited incoming connections but I think that has been done away with. Still, if your site explodes with popularity, performance might suffer, not because of Sitefinity but because SQL Express is not designed to support that much traffic.

hope this is helpful!

This thread is closed