Migrate site data from one project to another

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 13:35

Migrate site data from one project to another

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello,
I looked over the Sitefinity Migration Tool, but it does not yet support 4.1, and my question is more general. Is there an easy way to migrate data from one Sitefinity 4.1 project, to another Sitefinity 4.1 project. Given that these two projects will be on different servers.
For example I am now creating a small proof of concept site with Sitefinity Community, and later a bigger project is created on different server environment. Then I would like to migrate the data from the PoC project to the new one (both using SiteFinity 4.1). Will that be possible in a reasonable resource manner?

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Anton,

I'm currently working on an update to the migration tool that will support 4.1.

As for your other question - I believe in order to migrate one 4.1 site to another you need to copy the database as well as all the config files from ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration from the first application to the second. This should be enough to make a copy of the site.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi,

Is it possible to create a new project and use a already existing Sitefinity 4.1 CMS database? I just accidentally deleted my project folder (so the ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration folder ist gone), but the database is still intact.

Is it possible to rescue at least the data from the database (the pages, the uploaded images, ...)?

Thanks!

Hello David,

The configurations are closely related to the database data. Generally in the configuration we keep information about the roles ID and hash algorithm for decrypting / encrypting users' password. Also the configuration keeps all data you saved through Administration >> Settings. If you can recover this files from the recycle bin this would solve your issues, otherwise you might have issues accessing the websites because your users will not function.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I just had 3 users created in this project, so it wouldn't be any problem to recreate these. If there is a way to avoid recreating all the pages I would be very happy.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi David,

You can merge all the data using database and schema comparison tool.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jul-2011 00:00

Mr. Ivan Dimitrov (Telerik team),
Here you said that you are currently working on an update to the Migration Tool that will support 4.1.
I just tested the Sitefinity CMS and we are deciding if we implement in our company, but we see that the current transport from a development environment to live environment is very hard. Imagine that our web site has a lot of information, so if I have to backup/restore database, I can lost some information because every time we input data in web site. We want to know if will have some tool that allow to migrate only some Sub-Site, with its Master Page, Web Page, CSS, Theme, etc. from a development server (local network) to a produce serve (live in remote datacenter)?

Thank you so much,

Best Regards.

Ivan Ribeiro
EPTV Campinas / Brazil

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan,

Using the database replication tool will not require to use a backup of the website's database. For files you can use file replication tools. You can google for them. Generally the case here is the same for each other web application.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed