Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to fail

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 03:44

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

I have create a Sitefinity 4 website locally using the project manager and SQLExpress 2008 R2 on my Windows 7 64-Bit machine.  I have uploaded my site to my shiny new hosting account (personal plan) on Arvixe via FTP and then moved the database there per the instructions found here: http://blog.arvixe.com/using-telerik-sitefinity-with-arvixe-shared-plans/

However, now when I visit the site I get this

Server Error in '/' Application.

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SQLException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.]
   Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, IDictionary driverProps) +707
   OpenAccessRuntime.DataObjects.tools.ant.DatabaseCreationTask.createDatabase() +1041

[OpenAccessException: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessPageProvider_c431f913ca954037a1305b739f191a25.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +195
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, Type providerType, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +1478
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.InstantiateProvider(IDataProviderSettings providerSettings, ExceptionPolicyName policy, ManagerBase`1 manager) +63
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1.SetProvider(String providerName, String transactionName) +161
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName, String transactionName) +131
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager..ctor() +32
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager..cctor() +35

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager' threw an exception.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.PageManager.GetManager(String providerName) +0
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SiteMapBase.Initialize(String name, NameValueCollection attributes) +593
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SiteMapBase.GetSiteMapProvider(String rootName) +368
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.SitefinityRoute.GetRouteData(HttpContextBase httpContext) +67
   System.Web.Routing.RouteCollection.GetRouteData(HttpContextBase httpContext) +285
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.PostResolveRequestCache(HttpContextBase context) +60
   System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.OnApplicationPostResolveRequestCache(Object sender, EventArgs e) +86
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +148
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

As near as I can tell the issue is described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2002980 but I do not have access to the app pools since Arvixe is a shared host.  What's worse I have two days to figure this out.  HELP!

Hi Matt ,

Open ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/DataConfig.config and remove User Instance=True; from the connection string. Restart the application. This should fix the problem.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Thanks Ivan,

I have made the adjustment.  Arvixe does not seem to have a recycle app pool option in their control panel but I read in the forum to save the web.config over itself with no changes and that will force an app pool recycle.  Waited a few minutes just in case it needed time but still that error comes up.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2017 00:00

I am also facing the same error. My machine has Microsoft SQL Server Express (64-bit) and so I am connecting database to the option 'Microsoft SQL Server Express'. But it throws 2 error - 
Either: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.
Or: There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server: Could not connect to server

This thread is closed