Initial Load Time - Any way to improve?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 13:53

Initial Load Time - Any way to improve?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Oct-2011 00:00

I'm sure there are posts on this already but I haven't found any with a solution yet so here it is. After deploying Sitefinity 4 to a web server, it takes awhile to load up. After I've loaded the site, I can browse just fine with normal speeds. If I stop and come back 15 minutes later - I have to wait for it to load up again. Is there any way to remove this initial load up? This shouldn't happen for a typical website.

Thank you

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Oct-2011 00:00

Hi Conrad Ehinger,

Well this is normal of ASP.NET websites and IIS. By default the application pool goes to sleep after some idle time out, and when the website is accessed when the application pool is idled it will be restarted. A lot of shared hosting providers such as (Discount.ASP) offer application warmup tools so that you avoid this idle time out.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Oct-2011 00:00

Radoslav,

Is there any tutorial for implementing such a feature on a self hosted server?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Oct-2011 00:00

Hello Conrad Ehinger,

There is no tutorial on the Sitefinity side. However you can create a Windows scheduled task which will periodically call your site.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Oct-2011 00:00

If you don't have access to make a service to do that, you can signup for a Pingdom account. (pingdom.com)

It'll hit your site to keep it alive...with the side benifet of emailing you if it goes offline for any reason (mobile app too)

Oh, and it's free :)

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Sep-2014 00:00

Is there anything wrong with simply adjusting IIS to have no idle timeout (setting it to 0)? And changing the recycling time to once-daily in the middle of the night?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Sep-2014 00:00

Nothing wrong with that at all, in fact you should set it to 0...I dont even bother with the daily recycle either, never had an issue...memory always drops when the GC rolls by

This thread is closed