Deployment - public site works fine, backend goes crazy

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 20:37

Deployment - public site works fine, backend goes crazy

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2011 00:00

After deploying my site from my dev box to the test server, I can't edit anything in the backend.

Everything in the public-facing site (pages, images, etc) shows correctly. However, when I log in to the back end, every item I click on (pages, etc) throws an error

Could not deserialize service response, because it was empty or not valid JSON

Any suggestions? I'm developing on Win7 x64/IIS7, but deploying to Win2k3/IIS6.

**Update**

I examined the AJAX request in Fiddler. The server is responding with the public home page instead of hitting the web service. Still not sure what would cause that.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi David,

This is indeed strange. Can you provide error logs or trace logs for the error? Also can you tell us what steps were taken for the website deployment?

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Victor,

I followed the steps at http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/joshmorales/posts/11-02-23/installing_sitefinity_4_on_iis_6.aspx
(that is, the same steps I use to configure any new ASP.NET 4 app on IIS6).
I've noticed that if I hit the "help" method on one of the services, such as

~/Sitefinity/Services/Pages/PagesService.svc/help

I get the expected "help" class information page, so in that case the service is working correctly. Where should I look for the error log?

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello David,

The logs can be found in App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs. Make sure to clean the folder before that. Also you can enable service tracer that will catch the actual error you are getting.

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

Victor,

There are no log entries that are relevant in the logs. Reloading the page doesn't add entries to the logs. For kicks, I went ahead and nuked the log files and nothing is showing there.

The problem persists on one server, though the app sort-of runs on a different server, so I'm reasonable confident that this is an IIS config issue. Still, the server in question is a clone of our production system so I have no doubt that the problem will pop up there, as well, if we decide to deploy Sitefinity.

Yay.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Dave,

Please have a look at our article regarding IIS:

www.sitefinity.com/.../configuring-the-iis-to-host-sitefinity-projects.aspx

Can you try and replicate the issue on a new server or if you create brand new project on the same one?

Best wishes,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Mar-2012 00:00

Hey guys,

Was this ever solved. I'm currently experiencing the same thing that Dave has been experiencing. If you have can a solution be provided in response to this post please as this is an urgent issue.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Jesse,

Dave can share more details with the community, however if you can share more details about your setup and environment, we would be able to help you resolve the issue.

Regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Hey Victor,

Thanks for your response. I've stated below the details of my setup for you.

Windows Server 2008,
IIS7,
SQLServer2008,
Full Trust level has been granted.

I was able to successfully deploy however a strange issue arose. I'm able to have content display on the public site yet when i login from the backend nothing is there. If i click on the News from the list of contents it would then log me out. Would it be possible to send the Error log files?

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Jesse,

I have answered you in the support ticket.

Kind regards,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Apr-2012 00:00

Hi Jesse and Victor,
I never got this to work under IIS6, and I didn't have the problem on any of the IIS7/Win Server 2008 machines, so I eventually just wound up abandoning it.
Jesse, if you're still having this problem, I'd be interested to know if you were seeing the same thing that I was - ie, when I examined the request/response in Fiddler, I noticed that Sitefinity was returning the contents of the home page in response to all AJAX requests to the backend.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Aug-2013 00:00

For those poor souls that end up down this path in the future and don't find a real solution.  Make sure the following is enabled in IIS (3.5 Features)...

Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation

www.sitefinity.com/.../configuring-the-iis-to-host-sitefinity-projects

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Paul,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community.

Regards,
Nayden Gochev
Telerik

This thread is closed