Upgrade from 4.2 to 4.4 failed

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2011 00:00

Installed over top of 4.2
Opened the manager,
Selected the website, choose "Upgrade"
Tried to browse the site:
ERROR:
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.2.1733.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.2.1733.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.2.1733.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
   EF.Core.Initialization.InitializeRoutineBase.Initialize() +0

[InvalidOperationException: The pre-application start initialization method PreAppStartMethod on type EF.SitemapGenerator.Initialization.InitializeRoutine threw an exception with the following error message: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.2.1733.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040).]
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.InvokePreStartInitMethods(ICollection`1 methods) +705
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods() +430
   System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +961

[HttpException (0x80004005): The pre-application start initialization method PreAppStartMethod on type EF.SitemapGenerator.Initialization.InitializeRoutine threw an exception with the following error message: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.2.1733.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040).]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +614
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +141
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +896

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Dec-2011 00:00

Hi Tom,

I experienced the same issue upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4 but eventually got it (mysterously) working.  Details here: http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/bugs-issues/4-3---gt-4-4-update-hell.aspx#1921790

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Tom,

Have you checked the topic that Steve suggested? If the solutions, suggested there didn't help you, do not hesitate to get back to me.

Regards,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi, the article sent me in the right direction.

Searching for 4.2.1733, I found it in a lot of files under

App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration

Approx. 25 files with the wrong version number in them.
Should I do a search and replace, or delete the files?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,

It is better that you inspect the files one by one and solve the issues yourself. Deleting some of them may cause bigger problems, so it is not recommended that you just delete.

Greetings,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2012 00:00

Your not going to believe this:
So I created a dummy project, it ask me to register, so I did.
This disable the register on the live site (soon to be live)
I then when back to the "Main" site, registered it.
I then opened the site, and the upgrade completed.
The site is now functional, I think.  Only time will tell.

Where I think I went wrong.  I clicked the upgrade button instead of opening the site.  This really should be more robust.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2012 00:00

Dear Tom
When you click the upgrade button* only the files will be updated - the database will be updated once you access the page after the update for the first time.
Could this be it?
Markus

*I still wished it was called update, because an upgrade is from SBE to SE for exmple. We are updating to the latest version not upgrading to the latest version

This thread is closed