Connection string "Sitefinity" could not be found

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 23:47

Connection string "Sitefinity" could not be found in config files.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-May-2012 00:00

Hello All,

I am getting this error when trying to install Sitefinity 4.4

"Connection string "Sitefinity" could not be found in config files."

I answered all of the database install questions, and then get this error when press next in the set up process.

Complete Error:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connection string "Sitefinity" could not be found in config files.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.ConnectionNotFoundException: Connection string "Sitefinity" could not be found in config files.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\21c09194\ab8f87e8\App_Web_telerik.sitefinity.resources.pages.startup.aspx.f785aa1a.n623sm7e.0.cs    Line: 0

Stack Trace:

[ConnectionNotFoundException: Connection string "Sitefinity" could not be found in config files.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.OA.OpenAccessConnection.GetConnectionStringSettings(String connectionStringName, Boolean safeMode) +104
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.OA.OpenAccessConnection.InitializeProvider(IOpenAccessMetadataProvider provider, String connectionName, Boolean safeMode) +48
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.InitializeDatabase(DataProviderBase dataProvider, NameValueCollection config) +102
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Decorators.OpenAccessDecorator.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +17
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.DataProviderBase.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType, Boolean initializeDecorator) +1173
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Data.MembershipDataProvider.Initialize(String providerName, NameValueCollection config, Type managerType) +2264
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.CreateInstantProvider(String providerName, String connectionString, ConfigElementDictionary`2 providers) +567
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.GetMembershipProvider() +72
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.CreateChildControls() +1792
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeControl.get_Controls() +15
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadChildViewStateByIndex(ArrayList childState) +24
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadViewStateRecursive(Object savedState) +225
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadChildViewStateByIndex(ArrayList childState) +148
   System.Web.UI.Page.LoadAllState() +312
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +8387
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +253
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +78
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +21
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
   ASP.sfres_telerik_sitefinity_resources_pages_startup_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\21c09194\ab8f87e8\App_Web_telerik.sitefinity.resources.pages.startup.aspx.f785aa1a.n623sm7e.0.cs:0
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +100
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Posted by Community Admin on 12-May-2012 00:00

Hi Brian,

Find the connection string at location App_data\Sitefinity\Configuration\dataConfig.config

If you dint find here, please create new and name it as sitefinity.

Regards,
Siddesh Kapadi

Hi,

The problem was that the file dataConfig.config  was not created at all for some reason it was missing.  Do you know why?

I made a new one and now it works.  But, why was it not there or why was it not created?

Now my issue now is that SF is not saving User data into the database.

I go through the setup wizard and set up an admin account.

Then it takes me to the login page.

I log in but it says not valid.

I look at the database table users and there is no user data saved in the database at all.

So no users were created during set up so can't login .

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

So far I spend 5-6 hours trying to figure out how to fix this issue.

I am not getting any errors too.

Thanks for all of your help,

Brian Davis

Hi Brian,

No idea why the user data is not saved. Please check the folder permisions where you are creating the site. May be it might help you.

Regards,
Siddesh Kapadi

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2013 00:00

For those that look up this error.
One reason can be that your web config has the telerik section uncommented and you have the config storage mode set to be the database.
Looks like you can start a new site that way.

<telerik>
    <sitefinity>
      <sitefinityConfig storageMode="Database" />
    </sitefinity>
  </telerik>

This thread is closed