Copy SQLEXPRESS database to production SQL Server database

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 02:14

Copy SQLEXPRESS database to production SQL Server database

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Sep-2013 00:00

How can I copy a SQLEXPRESS local database (used by Sitefinity CMS) to a production SQL Server database?

I created a script file (using Tasks > Generate Script) which makes reference to the .mdf & .ldf SQLEXPRESS files.
If I copy the Schema & Data, do the .mdf & .ldf SQLEXPRESS files also need to be placed on the production server before the script file is run?

Can I backup this file & ask the hosting company to do a restore - does this work going from local SQLEXPRESS to a production SQL Server database?

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Colleen,

The easiest way you can do that is to save a backup of your current database. After you do, restore it in your new SQL production server with SQL management studio. The important part here is your connection strings. In your project open App_data/Sitefinity/Configuration/Dataconfig.config. Change the current connection string to your database to the new one. The connection string should go as follows:

<connectionStrings>
        <add connectionString="data source="Your SQL server name;Integrated Security=SSPI;initial catalog=Your Database Name" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" dbType="MsSql" name="Sitefinity" />
    </connectionStrings>

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed