Deploying demo site to Azure using Thunder and SQLExpress

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 21:13

Deploying demo site to Azure using Thunder and SQLExpress

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2013 00:00

I have install Sitefinity locally using SQLExpress and now I would like to migrate the site to Azure.  I have installed Thunder and see the Deploy to Azure wizard, but it appears the wizard will only work if running SQL Server vs. SQLExpress.  Is there a way to migrate to Azure if I have deployed using SQLExpress?  

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately not.

If you use SQL Express data file, you must first attach it to a running SQL Server instance.

This is a quote from our Installation and Administration guide, which you can download in PDF format. You can check out page 90, which explains more about the manual deployment of a Sitefinity project to Azure. The database has to be packaged and uploaded to SQL Azure, and the SQL Database Migration Wizard that is the official tool by Microsoft, as they claim "is designed to help you migrate your SQL Server 2005/2008/2012 databases to Azure SQL Database."

It might be possible to do some scripting and deploy an SQLExpress database, but I guess the effort would be an overhead  related to the purpose.

Regards,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Sep-2013 00:00

Michael,

This is a video I just remembered:

www.youtube.com/watch

Lino Tadros, from Falafel Software, one of our best partner companies, shows you step-by-step how to migrate an SQL Express database to Azure. He also attaches the database to an SQL server first.

Regards,
Grisha 'Greg' Karanikolov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Sep-2013 00:00

Thank you for your help.  I was able to deploy the site using the wizard and Microsoft SQL Server  Nice!

This thread is closed