Nesting an Application under sitefinity

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 00:52

Nesting an Application under sitefinity

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 14-May-2014 00:00

We currently have an application nested in another application.   For conversation sake, the parent application is a marketing site and the nested application is a business specific application.  The business app is setup in IIS as a virtual application.

The current setup works.  We tried replacing the marketing site with a SiteFinity 6.2 site, but run into a problem with the nested business site due it inheriting the web.config requirements of the Telerik dll's.   I tried to add <remove> statements for the modules, but then I ran into a problem with the httpRuntime value for requestValidationType.  I can't find a way to reset this to default, or override it in the nested web.config.

If I add the <location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false"> to the SiteFinity web.config, then the pages added to SiteFinity and the SiteFinity admin tool stop working.  I found this forum post, www.sitefinity.com/.../add-an-asp-net-application-beneath-sitefinity-in-the-same-web-site, but it's related to SiteFinity 3.7.

Does anyone have any more recent documentation about nesting application under a SiteFinity site, and getting it to work with the web.config conflicts?

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2014 00:00

Hello David,

We will get back to you in the ticket you have created on the topic, but it would be great if anyone else shares their experience with such setup.

Regards,
Victor Velev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2014 00:00

Victor,

Agreed.

In addition to the original post, I seem to be able to get around most of the initial telerek dll requirements by modifying my child application web.config to add 

<modules>
      <remove name="ClaimsPrincipalHttpModule" />
      <remove name="SitefinityClaimsAuthenticationModule" />
      <remove name="Sitefinity" />
      <remove name="SessionAuthenticationModule" />
      <remove name="RadUploadModule" />
      <remove name="SitefinityAnalyticsModule" />
    </modules>

To the <system.webServer> section.   But now I am running into an issue with the <httpRuntime requestValidationType="Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Claims.CustomRequestValidator, Telerik.Sitefinity" /> in the parent Sitefinity application being inherited into my child application.   In my research I can't find a way to override, clear, or reset this to default.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2014 00:00

Hi Marika,

I have provided you with new sample configs and further details on the topic - you can review them in the ticket and if they work for you, you can share them with the public. If you still encounter issues, get back to us in the ticket, so we can keep the communication regarding the issues in one place.

Regards,
Victor Velev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2014 00:00

Was this issue resolved?  I am looking to nest an application under a Sitefinity 7 site and would appreciate input on how best to handle the web.config files.

Thanks
Josh

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Sep-2014 00:00

Hello Josh,

This issue is not Sitefinity related and has to do more with environment setup. You need to make some changes in your webconfig files to prevent the inheritance of your child application. There is an article regarding this in our online documentation: Configure Sitefinity instance as parent or child of an ASP.NET application

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Sep-2014 00:00

Josh,

In our instance, no it wasn't resolved.  No matter what we did, or how we configured the web.config we could not get our custom application to work nested in a SiteFinity site.  As mentioned above, working with support we couldn't override the httpRuntime attribute that was being inherited by the SiteFinity web.config.

Our solution was to change the domains and structurally separate the sites, thus breaking the inheritance chain.

Now, instead of "test.com" being the SF site and "test.com/app" being our custom application, we have "ww1.test.com" being the SF site, and "www.test.com/app" as our custom application.   Any requests at the firewall for "www.test.com" without the "/app" are being redirected to "ww1.test.com"

This thread is closed