Azure Storage version removal and continued support for SF 6

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 16:21

Azure Storage version removal and continued support for SF 6 in Azure

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Dec-2014 00:00

We have SF 6.1 deployed to Azure, and Microsoft recently announced that it will end support for older versions of the Azure Storage API in December of 2015. The earliest version of the Azure SDK that will continue to support Azure Storage is 2.1, while SF 6 was built against version 1.8.

Question: does this mean that an upgrade to SF 7 will be absolutely necessary?

View the announcement here: http://aka.ms/Qga48e

(this is also posted to the Google+ group here)

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Dec-2014 00:00

Good question, Id like to see a table of SF versions (including minor versions) and their dependency on Azure Storage API versions. The Microsoft announcement was not sufficiently detailed in relating to SF.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Dec-2014 00:00

Here's an update:

• I considered using assembly redirects to force SF to use a newer version of the Azure Storage API, but there are breaking changes in the earliest supported version, so that's out of the question.
  • I found out upgrading to SF 7 won't solve the issue, since it continues to use the old version of the Storage API (1.7)

I've concluded that a new version of Sitefinity that supports an updated Azure Storage API will have to be released if existing sites in Azure are going to continue storing their logs after December 2015

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Dec-2014 00:00

Hi all,

Yes, we are aware of this official Microsoft announcement, which will impact all versions earlier than SItefinity 7.0 as described in our Windows Azure SDK supported versions documentation article.

For the moment we cannot provide any additional information, but we will take further action regarding this.

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Dec-2014 00:00

Vassil,

My investigations showed that despite the upgrade to Azure SDK 2.2 with Sitefinity 7.0, the Azure Storage API was never upgraded. When I look at the Telerik.Sitefinity.dll for SF 7.x in JustDecompile, it still references Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient version 1.7, which will no longer function after December 2015.

In that case, Sitefinity 7.x will also be affected, correct?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Dec-2014 00:00

Hello Nicholas,

The Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient will remain 1.7 version in Sitefinity 7.3.

The other Azure assemblies use 2.2 version

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime, Version 2.2.0.0
Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics, Version 2.2.0.0
Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.StorageUtility, Version 2.2.0.0

The planned removal of earlier versions of the Azure Storage Service APIs will happen in December 2015, so we will have a compatible version prior that. I cannot tell you the exact Sitefinity version right now. Once we started working on this we will make an announcement in the forum.

Kind regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Mar-2015 00:00

Is a fix for this issue on the roadmap for 8.x?

Nicholas 

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Mar-2015 00:00

Hello Nicholas,

Unfortunately, I do not possess any further information regarding the Azure version. The upcoming features for 8.0 have already been posted and the beta released. We will keep the features thread posted about future releases. Currently, I cannot state any further information regarding this, than my colleague Vassil already provided.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

This thread is closed