Updating content of the existing environment

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 14:10

Updating content of the existing environment

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2015 00:00

Hi,

I think that's a pretty straightforward question, but I didnt found a proper solution yet.
So, the situation is folowing - I have working production version of the Sitefinity based website, with it's specific content etc. Now i want to REPLACE one of controls in all pages which uses it.

I understand thats the're a couple of options:
1. Grab production environments DB, attach to dev version, manually update each page (very time consuming, no one will give me a production DB)
2. Use SiteSync (no one will give me a direct access to production DB)

Basically my only option is to create a script which will update Sitefinity DB. I just ran my own tests - I have set up 2 copies of Sitefinity DB in on of the copies I just replaced a control. After that I executed SQL data comparison, and WOW, just WOW. Red gate data comparer says that there 're tons of changes in sf_control_properties, sf_permissions, sf_object_data, sf_object_data_sf_permissions. In additions some columns contains binary data, which is pretty hard to read.

Is there any solutions to update production environment using scripts?
Thanks a lot!

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2015 00:00

Hello Aleksejs,

Amendment of the database is not recommended at all.

I would suggest you using the API to add remove controls on the Page. More information and examples are available here.

I hope the information helps.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed