Azure deployment failing

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 14:57

Azure deployment failing

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2015 00:00

I'm having problems setting up my initial project on Azure. I'm trying to setup just a sandbox to start and I've got things configured on the Azure side but when I get to the "Executing script on Windows Azure SQL Database" step of wizard it immediately fails at 0% with the error "The service objective 'Web' specified is invalid." There's nothing in the log when I click on View log file. This is deploying to an Azure database that hasn't been created yet. If I do it against a database that I did create I get the same result but with the error "Incorrect syntax near '-'." Are there any other logs or tools I can turn on or look at to get more detailed information about what's going on?

At first I thought it was firewall but I get the same result on an internet connection with no firewalls. I can fall back to manual deployment I guess but I assume the Azure deployment wizard is working for at least some people. Don't know why I can't get it to work. Hopefully someone might have some ideas?

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2015 00:00

Hello,

Sitefinity supports Azure Cloud services, you can deploy either with Thunder:
http://docs.sitefinity.com/thunder-sitefinity-azure-configuration-and-deployment or manually http://docs.sitefinity.com/manually-deploy-projects-windows-azure.

If you are using Thunder, please, create a new project, run it the first time to go through the initial setup and after the initial startup is done, you can deploy the project to Azure Cloud Services.

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Mar-2015 00:00

Atanas,

Sorry but you didn't answer any of my questions. I am already using the wizard (the failure also happens doing a manual deploy) and have been following the instructions on both of those pages for deployment.

Again, I get the error "The service objective 'Web' specified is invalid." during the SQL migration and the log is empty if I try to deploy. Attached is an image of the wizard failing.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2015 00:00

Hi,

That error indicates that the web sql azure tier is not supported. You can try using the business tier and also test the powershell deployment scripts from this location: github.com/.../sitefinity-azure-powershell-deployment

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Apr-2015 00:00

Could someone please explain what SQL azure tier is required then? We have an Azure business subscription and I've created everything by the book. The only mention of tiers in SQL is when you have a database created there's Basic, Standard, and Premium. We're using Standard which should be sufficient here.

I've gone through all the manual steps on the site and not getting the same results. It's as if the documentation was written a year ago and things have changed. As far as I can tell everything is setup correctly but I get these errors (posted) but very little feedback on what's wrong.

As for the suggestion to use the powershell deployment scripts that would be great except I get to the point of setting my management certificate. I have no management certificates in my Azure cloud service and the Azure documentation to create one isn't working. So I'm not getting anywhere with those scripts either.

This is frustrating because I can't find anyone who's deployed to the current iteration of Azure successfully, Telerik's documentation doesn't match up with what is in the Azure Management portal, and the error messages coming back from the setup is minimal and not helpful in trying to figure out where things are failing.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Apr-2015 00:00

Tier explanation. I just found a small note on the Azure SQL database service tier page (msdn.microsoft.com/.../dn741336) that says:

"Business and Web service tiers will be retired September 2015"

This probably explains why I'm not seeing a reference to a "business tier" but rather the ones I see basic, standard, and premium.

More information on the new service tiers can be found here:

azure.microsoft.com/.../

However while this is targetted for September 2015, it's in effect right now with our subscription. We didn't ask for anything special or new (and I'm not even using the new Azure portal).

I wonder if Sitefinity is equipped to handle a new setup on Azure or maybe it's working with everyone elses setup that was done before all these changes on Azure.

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2015 00:00

Hello,

I tested deploying to Azure with Thunder on Sitefinity 8 and it worked as expected, however the subscription we have could not be affected by the change yet and it was created quite some years ago. Your concerns are valid and I have brought this to the attention of the team.

In order to deploy, please, try migrating the database manually as described in this article:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brunoterkaly/archive/2013/09/26/migrating-an-on-premises-sql-server-2012-database-to-windows-azure-sql-database.aspx

After the database is transferred, you can manually deploy the project package.

I will update this thread as soon as I have information from the team.

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 07-May-2015 00:00

I finally got the setup working in Azure. For Sitefinity 8.x and new Azure setups here's what I had to do:

1. Create the site normally on my local machine

2. Right click and run the azure wizard but only select the first option, to prep the site for deployment (optionally you can do this manually using your documentation, but the documentation isn't clear on some of the settings for dlls and conflicts with what the wizard does)

3. Add the cloud project manually and continue with the manual steps

4. Use SQL Server Management Studio 2014 to migrate the local database to Azure. One thing to note, you have to install at least CU4 to get the right tier targets. The out of the box install uses the old Web/Business tiers and the migration will fail. CU4 has the new targets (I installed CU5 because it was available)

5. Create the deployment packages and manually add them to Azure

Thanks for your help. There are a *lot* of gaps on the documentation when doing this with the current azure portal and a lot of broken links in the Thunder wizard (for example when you click on logging in to try to deploy automatically it takes you to a broken link). I've submitted several updates to the documentation but haven't seen any changes yet.

Thanks

This thread is closed