Sitefinity 12.2 startup error

Posted by gauntt@upenn.edu on 17-Dec-2019 20:18

Since upgrading to 12.2, I get this error on startup on the spinning gears screen:

Attempt to load \SitefinityWebApp.ResourcePackages.Bootstrap4.dll failed.

The log file has a log of the error as well as the same error but for my custom resource package. What is this DLL? Where is it?

All Replies

Posted by jread on 18-Dec-2019 20:30

Seems there is something happening with the precompilation and that dll is not being produced for your application. Try reinstalling the nuget packages or deleting the bin folder and adding back in the DLLs from the _EmptyProject folder location in the folder the Project Manager was executed from.

Posted by gauntt@upenn.edu on 18-Dec-2019 20:45

I actually disabled precompilation using these instructions because those references in the build folder were a constant source of errors:

www.progress.com/.../turn-off-precompilation-of-razor-views-mvc

If I have it disabled, why is it still looking for the DLL?

Posted by jread on 18-Dec-2019 22:36

That part I am not sure of, I would recommend open a support ticket to address this

Posted by sruzmano on 19-Dec-2019 08:32

Hi, in the bin folder there is a json file called ControllerContainerAsembliesLocation.json. This file is populated after you build your web application. Its purpose is to speedup the startup time by caching the names of the assemblies that contains feather controllers. The error that you are receiving is because the bootstrap4.dll is in this .json file but it's not present in the bin folder. If you don't need the dll in order to stop receiving the error you can either build your webapplication (this will generate new .json file withouth the boostrap4.dll in it), or you can manually delete the boostrap4 entry from the json.

Posted by gauntt@upenn.edu on 19-Dec-2019 14:24

Thank you. I see it in that file. I deleted it. Hopefully it will not just regenerate the next time I build. Is there another place that indicates what should be added to that file? In the project file maybe??

Posted by sruzmano on 19-Dec-2019 14:38

This file WILL be generated when you build your project.The build process will trigger a task which will scan your bin folder and check which assemblies contain feather controllers (this was previously done on system startup). After the scan is completed the .json file will be populated with the names of "feather" assemblies. If the bootstrap dll is not present in the bin folder at the time you build your project it won't be included in the json file. As I said above this is done to boost the system startup. However you can enable/disable it in advanced settings->feather config-> Use cached controller container assemblies. I highly recommend to leave that setting enabled because of the significant startup improvement. (noticeable when you deploy your project)

This thread is closed