Open Graph properties on blog posts not appearing in page so

Posted by dirwin@reading.org on 11-Jul-2019 13:52

We are running Sitefinity 10.2. I followed all of the steps for the Open Graph protocol on Blog posts, but when I share on social media, nothing is working, and if I View Source on my blog posts, I also do not see meta property="og:title", meta property="og:description", etc.

Is there a hidden, additional step that I am missing that is not covered by this Documentation https://www.progress.com/documentation/sitefinity-cms/102/open-graph-settings ?

All Replies

Posted by jread on 11-Jul-2019 14:49

The open graph meta will only inject in detail mode of a content item, are you viewing the details of a News item or Post or custom content item?

Posted by dirwin@reading.org on 11-Jul-2019 15:02

@jread As per the Single Item Settings on my Blog posts widget, I am viewing the Auto-generated page of single blog post.

Posted by jread on 11-Jul-2019 19:29

Did you configure the meta field names in the widget advanced mode? So if you OG Title field is named OGTitle you would place that in the widget config.

www.progress.com/.../configure-open-graph-properties-on-widget-level

Posted by dirwin@reading.org on 11-Jul-2019 20:10

When I go to my Blog posts widget on my main blog page, I click Edit, I click on "Advanced", but I don't see "4. Click MetadataFields." I see MetaDescriptionField and MetaTitleField, but nothing referencing OpenGraph whatsoever.

Posted by jread on 12-Jul-2019 18:52

Did you enable OpenGraph Fields in Admin > Settings >a dvanced? www.progress.com/.../turn-on-open-graph-properties

Also you muse be using MVC based widgets for this to work.

Posted by dirwin@reading.org on 12-Jul-2019 19:06

Yes, I enabled that setting in Advanced.

As per the documentation, it says: "The following build-in (static) MVC widgets support the Open Graph protocol: Blog posts".

Steps I did: (1) Turned on Open Graph properties. (2) Went to Content > Blogs > clicked on the only blog we have. (3) Clicked on "Custom Fields for posts". (4) Created the following custom fields: Name: OpenGraphTitle, Type: Short text, Name: OpenGraphDescription, Type: Short text or Long Text, Name: OpenGraphImage, Type: Short text or Related media (Image)  (5) Created a new content item (a blog post). I can see the OpenGraphTitle, OpenGraphDescription, and the OpenGraphImage fields when I create a new blog post. (6) In my new blog post, I filled out the OpenGraphTitle, OpenGraphDescription, and the OpenGraphImage fields. The final step in the initial documentation is (7) To display the content item in an Open Graph format, paste the link to the detailed page in a social network, for example.  I did that, and it is not finding my OpenGraph information, nor can I see it when I view Page Source.

Because I was using a widget that is a built-in widget, I assumed there were no more steps to the process and that my steps were flawed somehow.

Posted by dirwin@reading.org on 12-Jul-2019 19:59

Yes, I turned on that setting under Advanced.

As per the documentation, "The following build-in (static) MVC widgets support the Open Graph protocol: Blog posts"

Steps I did: (1) Turned on Open Graph properties. (2) Went to Content > Blogs > clicked on the only blog we have. (3) Clicked on "Custom Fields for posts". (4) Created the following custom fields: Name: OpenGraphTitle, Type: Short text, Name: OpenGraphDescription, Type: Short text or Long Text, Name: OpenGraphImage, Type: Short text or Related media (Image)  (5) Created a new content item (a blog post). I can see the OpenGraphTitle, OpenGraphDescription, and the OpenGraphImage fields when I create a new blog post. (6) In my new blog post, I filled out the OpenGraphTitle, OpenGraphDescription, and the OpenGraphImage fields. The final step in the initial documentation is (7) To display the content item in an Open Graph format, paste the link to the detailed page in a social network, for example.  I did that, and it is not finding my OpenGraph information, nor can I see it when I view Page Source.

Because I was using a supported, built-in widget, I did not assume I needed to do anything beyond the steps I listed.

Posted by jread on 15-Jul-2019 13:21

Out of curiosity did you restart the website after the changes?  

Posted by dirwin@reading.org on 15-Jul-2019 14:37

Yes, we did restart the website.

Here is my sample page, if it helps. payment.literacyworldwide.org/.../the-gettysburg-address

I am "hard coding" the twitter:card, twitter:site, twitter:creator, and og:type content="article", and I wanted the title, description, and image to be dynamic.

This thread is closed