Widget can be placed anywhere on Template

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 01:30

Widget can be placed anywhere on Template

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2010 00:00

I've tested this with built in templates as well as my own template based on a .master file. In both cases I'm shown boxes that say "Drag widgets here" and it works as expected. The bug is that I can drag a widget anywhere outside these boxes as well. This is probably fine for an advanced user who knows how Sitefinity works, but for a content manager this could become a nightmare and totally defeats the point of having a templates in a user friendly CMS if the user can place content anywhere.

Regards,
Phill

Hello Phill Hodgkinson,

Thank you for reporting this.

This problem is not a bug. It is like that by design. We will discuss this implementation once more and see if it makes more sense to disallow adding content to page/template outside of placeholder controls.

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This is a terrible design decision, please reconsider. If you insist that it's required functionality to be able to drop content anywhere on the page, at the very least I'd like a role (i.e. Content Editor) that is only able to work within the place holder areas. Even better would be if the widgets could be placed in the template and then marked as "editable" then a content editor would only ever have to edit content, they wouldn't even have to drop items onto the page.

I hope you change you mind on this one! If anyone else feels the same, please speak up!

Regards,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Phill,

Thanks for reporting this problem!

It is important and we will plan a fix for it in the service packs after the official release. 
It is logged to our issue track system (ID 102347) . 

Regards,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi There,

This bug is still present in the Final Release. Is there an eta or a priority for it? I'm having big issues with placing content on my pages and it will be next to impossible for the content editors at my client to figure this out.

My template has:
<h1> Page Title control in the template here</h1>
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder....  </asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

When I try to drag a content blog into the content place holder the first time it's easy, but if there is already a widget of some type in that content place holder and you try to add another widget to the same place holder above the current widget it almost always ends up dropped inside the <h1> tag. It's impossible to tell and you can only guess. It takes about 5-10 attempts of dragging and dropping to get it to land in the actual content place holder where it belongs. This might be a minor inconvenience to a technical developer who knows what's going on, but to a content editor this makes the system unusable (unless they want all their text to be <h1> styled).

Cheers,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Phill,

It seems that this is a different problem. Unfortunately we could not reproduce it.
Can you,  please, send us the master page file so that we can test with it.

Providing a video recording of the steps undertaken will be of even greater help.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

As to the problem outlined below (ID 102347). It is in  our list of planned improvements and will make it in some of the next releases.

Greetings,
Kalina
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Kalina,

Please check out the following link for a screen cast of the issue in action. Let me know if this is enough for you or if you still require my .master file. It's really easy to reproduce so I don't imagine you'll need it.

ContentPlaceHolderIssue Screen Cast

Keep in mind that one of the reasons this is a big issue is that a CMS is supposed to allow no technical users to input and update content. How to get a content block placed properly on the page is challenging for me so that would mean next to impossible for a content editor. It should be just a no brainer, drag and drop (or once again as I always prefer, a content block should be able to be added to template so user just has to edit and type, not eve worry about which widget to add).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Phill Hodgkinson,

We have identified two big issues in your last post:

1. It is not visually clear which placeholder a content widget will be dropped in while it is being dragged to the page. Dragging widgets to a page is a difficult task for some not experienced users.
  2. It is not possible to add widgets in a page template and edit those widgets in the actual page. This will reduce the cases when content editors need to drag and drop widgets to a page.

We consider both issues you have pin-pointed important and we are currently working to find the best visual solution for both of them.

All the best,
Katia
the Telerik team

This thread is closed