Navigation Widget: is rmFocused being applied to RadMenu?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 07:13

Navigation Widget: is rmFocused being applied to RadMenu?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

Just having a look at the drop down menu... when you are on a sub-page of a main menu item the first level should have a class of .rmFocused so that you can highlight the users position in the menu when the RadMenu is drop down is scrolled up... at least this is usually the behaviour of RadMenu.

However looking at the generated source, .rmSelected is applied to the current page but it looks as though the top level menu item is not receiving the .rmFocused when it's sub-page is the current page..

Could you check this out?

An example for you is: go to this page which is a sub-page of "kitchens" www.joineryproducts.com.au/.../signature-range - "Kitchens" should be highlighted as you are on a sub-page of it. However it is not... I think this is because there is a class missing that should be applied.

Cheers,

Seth

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Webinsite,

Thank you for using our services.

The .rmFocused class is used for menu items which are focused by the menu or the keyboard. The .rmSelected class is used for the currently selected menu item. In this sense the behavior of the Navigation control is correct. You can check the CSS class selectors for the RadMenu here.

To highlight all parent pages of the current page you should use the HighlightPath() method of RadMenuItem. To do this you should create a custom control template for the navigation control. Sample bellow:

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" TagPrefix="sf" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.NavigationControls.SiteMapNavigations" TagPrefix="navcontrols" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PublicControls"%>
<script runat="server" type="text/C#">
    protected void Page_Load()

siteMapControl.ItemDataBound += new RadMenuEventHandler(siteMapControl_ItemDataBound);

void siteMapControl_ItemDataBound(object sender, RadMenuEventArgs e)

if (e.Item.NavigateUrl == siteMapControl.CurrentPageURL)

e.Item.HighlightPath();

</script>
<navcontrols:SiteMapNavigationMenu ID="siteMapControl" runat="server"  Skin="Sitefinity" />

Then you should set the navigation mode to horizontal with drop-down and set the template path from Design Settings.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

Thanks for the solution however in 3.x rmFocused was applied to the 1st level menu item which contained the selected page (as well as the selected page) so that you could highlight the selected page in the 1st level of the menu - are you saying that the position of the selected page in the 1st level of the menu will no longer receive a special class in 4.x?.

The default drop down menu in 3.x is demonstrated here: www.mrrental.com.au/.../Vision.aspx - you will notice that rmFocused is applied to the 1st level.

Surely we shouldn't now have to have an external template to implement such functionality?

Almost every implementation I can think of for a drop down menu would need to be able to highlight the position of the selected page in the 1st level of the menu - if rmFocused was implemented by default in the drop down navigation of 3.x so I really think it would be wise to implement it also in 4.x for consistencies sake???

You comment on the validity of my suggestion would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Seth

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Webinsite,

Your suggestions are completely valid. We already logged this task for implementation, however since it is not very critical (and it has a workaround) it will be most probably be implemented after the official release. The ID of the TFS work item for this feature request is 103938.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2011 00:00

Seth, you seem to have forgotten that SF4 is supposed to be "easier" for the developer, somebody actually had so much free time they created a doc to try to drill this into our heads... sorry, couldn't resist the sarcasm as I've noticed this menu/nav issue too and am frustrated that I have to pay more to get less and in the end do more work to get the same that I used to have.

Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2011 00:00

I'm sitting here and can't believe what I'm reading. Also I'm frustrated that 11 months after reporting this issue, it does not seem to be fixed in 4.3.
Like Seth and Phill pointed out, this is such a basic need for almost every web page that uses a similar menu, that the absence of such functionality is just redicolus.

@Radoslav: The comment that this is not critical and that there is a workaround does not help me much. For me this means first searching if I have overlooked in the menu component that I might have missed (half an hour), then going to google to find that it is not supported (another half an hour) then implementing the proposed workaround (do not know how much time this is), and then the bad feeling about having a custom version of a basic control that could lead to problems on each subsequent update. After all I will loose a lot of time for somthing that is something that simply can be expected. Also my customer might think: What kind of product did he sell to us, that we have to pay 1-2 hours for this.

And if Telerik is applying the same logic to every issue, then we would need no eCommerce or any other feature, as there is the workaround that every developer can program this himself.

In my opinion it is definitly something that needs to be fixed asap.

Jörg

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2011 00:00
Posted by Community Admin on 25-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

Adding this feature is on our plan for the first release of Sitefinity in 2012.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2012 00:00

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Sep-2012 00:00

Hi Radoslav,
the PIT 5588 have the status "resolved".
I upraded our installation to the latest SF 5.1 and have still the same issue.
The class "rmFocused" and "rmSelected" are only applied to to the current page - independent from the level.
But it is still not applied to the parent nodes (parents of the selected page)!?
Can you please help me and provide a clean description or even better control template for SF 5.1.x to get the selected / focused classes also on the parent nodes?
Also the Link to documentation that you posted is broken.

UPDATE: It seems that the feature is implemented - but it doesn't work with nested grouppages.
On my site it works if the top level page is a group page that contains normal content pages.
As soon the subpage is also a group page the highlight isn't working. Is this a bug or a limitation?

Regards
Alex

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Oct-2012 00:00

Hi Alex, 

Please find a customRadTabStrip navigation template, which can be used as a separate control if you add a SitefinitySiteMapDataSource to it. In it we explicitly set the ParentSelected_Test class to all level parents of the currently opened item. This way you can customize them and apply a background color or other effects to them. Hope this helps.
As for the behavior you mentioned, can you please let me know if the steps that you performed and your SiteMap structure, so tat I can be able to reproduce it locally and investigate it?

Kind regards,
Jen Peleva
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed