ProviderException: The specified role "Administrators&q

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 11:52

ProviderException: The specified role "Administrators" already exists.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi all,

Sitefinity new bee here.

When I try to start a new project, after registering the administrator account, I get the following error message:
(Where did I go wrong?)

The specified role "Administrators" already exists.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: The specified role "Administrators" already exists.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ProviderException: The specified role "Administrators" already exists.]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Data.OpenAccessRoleProvider.CreateRole(Guid id, String roleName) +439
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.EnsureRole(RoleDataProvider roles, RoleInfo role) +438
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.AdministratorPane.DoWork() +56
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.StartupWizard.wizard_FinishButtonClick(Object sender, InternalWizardNavigationEventArgs e) +136
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.InternalWizard.OnFinishButtonClick(InternalWizardNavigationEventArgs e) +96
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Backend.InternalWizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +540
   System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +37
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +107
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +161
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +9
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +174
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4653

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Henry,

Seems you are connecting to a database which is already used by another Sitefinity application. Currently this scenario is not working. It is planned for Q1 of 2011  (the end of March).
For the time being specify a different database connection.

Greetings,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

I have run into the same issue. I tried creating a new database, and I am still getting the same error.

Hey all,

In reply to Kelly's post, here is what I did not understood as a new bee.

The first time I installed Sitefinity, I created a new project. When setting up that project, I had to tell which database I wanted the project to connect to.

What I did not knew is that after you tell which database to connect to, the setup will insert new tables into that database which the Sitefinity project needs for things such as authorisation and other CMS related functions.

After creating that first project as an experiment, I deleted it and created another one. And by telling the second project to connect to the same database again, I got the mentioned error. This is because Sitefinity has already inserted the authorisation table into that particular database already and the admin account had been setup already when I created the first project.

So, when creating a new Sitefinity project, you need to connect to a database which has not had the Sitefinity tables inserted into it already. Then you will not have the authorization problem.

Thank you for the follow up Henry. After seeing your first post, I realized that was the problem. So, I created a new database and tried to associate the new project with the new database. However, I am still getting the same error.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello,

I am not sure how this could happen with a new project with a new database. Can you try to replicate the issue on our sandbox . If the database and the project are completely new I do not see an option where you can get "The specified role "Administrators" already exists."

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2011 00:00

I am also getting same error.

I have one existing project and I created a new project and connected it with totally different database engine and different database still it is throwing same error.

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Mar-2011 00:00

Found Solution :-

I used totally different database server than that of  1st project.
Then created a new database in it.

Then created a second new project in SF. and defined the above database connection  and it worked.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Apr-2011 00:00

Having to use a different database server wasn't acceptable for me.  I just killed the sitefinity integrated web server process, restarted it through the project manager, and then it worked.

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Apr-2011 00:00

I wasn't able to use a different server either, however I managed to fix the issue.

In the existing database, you need to drop every single table that's in there.  This isn't "undo-able", so ensure you want to start from scratch, since that's what you'll be doing.

Once you've done that, RECYCLE IIS (or the App Pool) and then run the setup wizard again.  Apparently this error situation is cached.

Good luck, you'll need it with SiteFinity.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

What is the name of the database? I have two databases created in my local SQL Server and neither of them seems to be related to Sitefinity ("ReportServer" and "ReportServerTempDB"). Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

Hello,

Check App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/DataCondif. There you should find reference to the database that the project uses.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Feb-2012 00:00

Dear Sitefinity Team,
I am trying to connect to existing database with new Sitefinity project (4.4 version). And getting the above stated error i.e. "The specified role 'Administrators' already exists." It has been told in this thread that connecting to database is planned for March 2011 Q1. But it seems that the problem is not resolved yet. Please guide.
Thanks,
Swati

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello Swati,

The error

The specified role "Administrators" already exists.

states that you cannot create the specific role in the database because it already exists and the system is trying to create new one. The possible reason for this is that your database connection is not properly configured and the system is trying to insert new tables in previously existing ones.

Probable causes:

- the App_Data/Configuration/ folder and its files keep reference to the roles created in your project. For instance if you try to install a new project with some old config files, you will get the same error.

- The database has record for Administrators role, but it is missing from the configuration files which causes an attempt for duplicate row in the config that we prevent.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2012 00:00

I try to install Sitefinity on new empty azure db and get this error.
New deploy, new db - nothing helps

Posted by Community Admin on 08-May-2012 00:00

I try to install Sitefinity on new empty azure db and get this error.
New deploy, new db - nothing helps

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2012 00:00

Hi,

First you need to install Sitefinity locally and then migrate it to your azure account - db, hosted service etc. Also you should enable the following lines in the web.config that will ensure that your project will not write not inside config files, but inside the DB.

<sectionGroup name="telerik">
      <section name="sitefinity" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Configuration.SectionHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity" requirePermission="false" />
    </sectionGroup>

<telerik>
    <sitefinity>
      <environment platform="WindowsAzure"/>
      <sitefinityConfig storageMode="Database" />
    </sitefinity>
  </telerik>

You get this error because you are trying to install Sitefinity directly on Azure and storageMode is not  database.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Oct-2017 00:00

Has this problem been solved after seven years?

Why can't I create a new project without getting this error?

This thread is closed