Empty list of categories

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 10:27

Empty list of categories

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi!

The list of possible parents for categories is empty in the following case (second step might not be necessary):

1. create a category
2. create another category underneath it
3. click the action menu of the latter, and select "create a child category"
4. under "select parent" you see the current parent, and a button "change" next to it.. click the button
5. see empty list of possible parents

Hi Lasse,

I cannot reproduce the issue.

When creating a child category and there is only one existing category it is preselected as a parent. When you click Change (parent) the list is empty and this is OK.

Please check if categories list is empty for this scenario:

• Only one Category is created
  • Click  ‘Create a Category’
  • Under 'Create a category' dialog > Select a parent… > click change button

Greetings,
Sonya
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Sonya.

This behavior doesn't sound okay if you do the second step - as the list remains empty in this case (and there is the case of moving the new category under the parent of the current parent). The list also remains empty if you have a few different tree's.

To reiterate: the preselection is fine, that is not the issue. The issue is that when you try to change the parent for new child-category that you are creating, the list of possible parent's is empty even when there are multiple other categories to choose from.

If, for example, I have the following categories existing:

category1
   category2
       category3
   category4
category5
   category6
   category7
category8

then I select category4, and creation of child-category from it's action menu. Then I realize that this category should have actually been created under category7.. thus I click on the button to change the parent. In this situation the list of possible parent's is empty, and it certainly shouldn't be. 

The workaround to the issue is to create the new category under category4 (well, only other option is to cancel creating it..), and then edit it - then you will be able to change the parent to category7, as the list has been populated with the existing categories. Another workaround is to not select category4 in the beginning at all, but rather to click on the button to just create category.. in which case you can click on the button to change the parent category - and the list has been populated correctly.

(In other words: the population of possible parent categories seems to only fail if two conditions are met: 1) if you are creating a new category, and 2) if you select another category as a parent, ie cause the preselection to occur.)

edit: using version 4.0.1098.0..

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2011 00:00

Hello Lasse,

Thank you for the further clarification. We have reproduced the issue. It is a bug. We logged it for fixing. Unfortunately I am not able to give you a certain time for when it will be fixed.

Best wishes,
Sonya
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2011 00:00

Your welcome =)

This thread is closed