SF 4.0 versioning and source control issue

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:55

SF 4.0 versioning and source control issue

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jan-2011 00:00

One of our developers is having difficulty during the migration process. He sets everything up on his local box, sets up the license, DB connect strings, etc, as Sitefinity prompts. However when he moves this to our company's development server, it fails with a 404 error.

I cannot even logon as an admin to alter the license so something else must be going on. How are we supposed to version control SF 4.0? We never had these issues with 3.7.

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /Sitefinity/Licensing

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jan-2011 00:00

Further info: the Error.log file in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs contains this error:

Timestamp: 1/29/2011 2:24:24 PM
    Message: The file '/SFRes/Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.SitefinityDefault.aspx' does not exist.

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound)
   at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.RouteHandlerBase.CreateHandler(RequestContext requestContext, ITemplate pageTemplate)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.RouteHandlerBase.GetHttpHandler(RequestContext requestContext)
   at System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.PostResolveRequestCache(HttpContextBase context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2011 00:00

I get this error when I try to pre-compile the website project using C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_compiler.exe and deploying the resulting binaries, aspx, config, etc to a stage server.

When doing a diff between the two directories where

Directory_A = SiteFinity4 Empty project plus all the custom code and *.cs files
Directory_B = aspnet_compiled version of Directory_A

I see the following for a page that we have called Aweber.aspx.

Below is the first line in the Aweber.aspx file in the Directory_A version
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Aweber.aspx.cs" Inherits="Aweber" %>

Below is the first line in the Aweber.aspx file in the Directory_B version.
<%@ page language="C#" autoeventwireup="true" inherits="Aweber, App_Web_nrfqiyb5" %>

I am pretty sure this is expected, since Directory_B version of this file has been pre-compiled, but could this be contributing to what we are seeing.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2011 00:00

Until we get some feedback on this thread, about how to compile and deploy I hacked together a deployment that deploys all cs files for our SF4 implementation.  I thought I would share this so you know what I am trying to do.  This is not a production worthy solution because we don't want to deploy cs files.  We want to pre-compile the website or move to web application project type.   Neither pre-compiling; nor web application project type have worked when compiling and only deploying binaries.

My temporary deployment script (temporary in that is deploys the cs files which I do not want to do in the production deployment) looks something like this where
YourAppPool - is the apppool of the SF4 application
YourDirectory - is the physical path for the application
YourTrunk - is the trunk url for your application.  In our case, we are using subversion.

As you can see, I am versioning an environment specific version of each configuration file.  I don't know that this is necessary, but seem full proof until I know more about the SF4 implementation.

appcmd recycle apppool YourAppPool
cd C:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourDirectory
del /s /q C:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourDirectory
svn export YourTrunk C:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourDirectory --force
del web.config
copy web_stage.config web.config
cd C:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourDirectory\App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration
del *.config

rename BlogsConfig.config.stage BlogsConfig.config
rename ContentConfig.config.stage ContentConfig.config
rename ContentViewConfig.config.stage ContentViewConfig.config
rename DataConfig.config.stage DataConfig.config
rename EventsConfig.config.stage EventsConfig.config
rename FormsConfig.config.stage FormsConfig.config
rename LibrariesConfig.config.stage LibrariesConfig.config
rename NewsConfig.config.stage NewsConfig.config
rename NewslettersConfig.config.stage NewslettersConfig.config
rename ProjectConfig.config.stage ProjectConfig.config
rename PublishingConfig.config.stage PublishingConfig.config
rename ResourcesConfig.config.stage ResourcesConfig.config
rename SchedulingConfig.config.stage SchedulingConfig.config
rename SecurityConfig.config.stage SecurityConfig.config
rename SystemConfig.config.stage SystemConfig.config
rename TaxonomyConfig.config.stage TaxonomyConfig.config
rename ToolboxesConfig.config.stage ToolboxesConfig.config
rename VersionConfig.config.stage VersionConfig.config
rename WorkflowConfig.config.stage WorkflowConfig.config

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi

I reported the same issue in this thread, I'm using NAnt to compile and deploy a precompiled site to the dev server via aspnet_compiler and aspnet_merge, but it is failing when the PrecompiledApp.config file is left in the root with the same error as described above. Removing the PrecompiledApp.config file allows the site to run, but that file should actually be required.

Ryan

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Ryan,

We sent a reply about this issue to you. Please check this post.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed