Database backup

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:18

Database backup

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi

We;'e tyrying to set an automatic database backup and are running into problems. It won't let us attach to it in SSMS whilst the website is running. How should this be done?

Thanks

Cheers
Richard

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Richard Cross,

If you are trying to attach an mdf file to SSMS while the website is still running you will not be able to do this. This is because the application pool identity in which your website is running is putting a lock on the mdf file since it is working with it. What you have to use is to stop the website, attach the mdf file and schange the connection string in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration/DataConfig.config to use the database attached to your SQL server. Then you will be able to perform automatic backups.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2011 00:00

Could you explain this configuration change more specifically?  I'm looking to use Microsoft Backup (DPM) of SQL Server and need to understand how to take a safe backup. 

Thanks,
Rich

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Rich,

My colleague explained that you had to stop Sitefinity server and use Visual Studio "Deattach" option, because the MDF could be locked. You can use Microsoft Server Management Studio to create a backup.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Feb-2011 00:00

Ivan,

I'm looking for a hot backup solution.  I've traditionally used BackupExec or Microsoft DPM with the SQL extension to backup my databases every 2 hrs to allow rollback.

It appears that Microsoft DPM still works fine for backing up and restoring MS SQL Server databases for Sitefinity.  Is there any reason to think otherwise?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Rich,

I have not used Microsoft DPM with the SQL extension, but the Sitefinity database is standard SQL database, so I believe that there would not be problem if the DPM supports your requirements.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed