Page Template Admin won't load

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:42

Page Template Admin won't load

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2011 00:00

I've recently installed Sitefinity 4.0 and am working on my first instance. I spent some time playing around with a page and various layouts. I then set that page to use an included template. I then wanted to upload my own master page to generate a new template.

I went to Design / Page Templates but when the page loads, the browser pops up a dialog that says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I'm assuming its a javascript error, but I can't get any debuggers loaded before the browser hits the error. Once I get the error, and click Ok, it just keeps regenerating the error.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Jeremy,

Can you please enable SVC tracing on your website by adding the bellow configuration to your web.config:

<system.diagnostics>
  <trace autoflush="true" />
  <sources>
    <source name="System.ServiceModel"
            switchValue="Information, ActivityTracing"
            propagateActivity="true">
      <listeners>
        <add name="sdt"
            type="System.Diagnostics.XmlWriterTraceListener"
            initializeData= "SdrConfigExample.e2e" />
      </listeners>
    </source>
  </sources>
</system.diagnostics>

This will create a file SdrConfigExample.e2e in the root of your project. Please try navigating to pages and see the service fail. Then send us the trace log, we will examine it and determine why the service is failing.

Kind regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Apr-2011 00:00

I have exactly same problem. Please see information from the log file below.

<Computer>WDEV0010</Computer></System><ApplicationData><TraceData><DataItem><TraceRecord xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/10/E2ETraceEvent/TraceRecord" Severity="Error"><TraceIdentifier>msdn.microsoft.com/.../TraceIdentifier><Description>Handling an exception.</Description><AppDomain>/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Intranet-1-129464156053697011</AppDomain><Exception><ExceptionType>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType><Message>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</Message><StackTrace>   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.Model.PageTemplateViewModel.GetPagesBasedOnTempalate(PageTemplate template)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.Model.PageTemplateViewModel..ctor(PageTemplate pageTemplate)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.&amp;lt;&amp;gt;c__DisplayClass2.&amp;lt;GetPageTemplatesInternal&amp;gt;b__1(PageTemplate t)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.ForEach(Action`1 action)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.GetPageTemplatesInternal(String root)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.GetPageTemlates(String root)
   at SyncInvokeGetPageTemlates(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]&amp;amp; outputs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage41(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)</StackTrace><ExceptionString>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.Model.PageTemplateViewModel.GetPagesBasedOnTempalate(PageTemplate template)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.Model.PageTemplateViewModel..ctor(PageTemplate pageTemplate)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.&amp;lt;&amp;gt;c__DisplayClass2.&amp;lt;GetPageTemplatesInternal&amp;gt;b__1(PageTemplate t)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.ForEach(Action`1 action)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.GetPageTemplatesInternal(String root)
   at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.GetPageTemlates(String root)
   at SyncInvokeGetPageTemlates(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]&amp;amp; outputs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage41(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc&amp;amp; rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)</ExceptionString></Exception></TraceRecord></DataItem></TraceData></ApplicationData></E2ETraceEvent><E2ETraceEvent xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/E2ETraceEvent"><System xmlns="2621643http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/windows/eventlog/system"><EventID>262164</EventID><Type>3</Type><SubType Name="Information">0</SubType><Level>8</Level><TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-04T18:34:38.6407011Z" /><Source Name="System.ServiceModel" /><Correlation ActivityID="ef6d9d7e-94c1-430d-97a7-8f602c4a98c0" /><Execution ProcessName="w3wp" ProcessID="3500" ThreadID="7" /><Channel/><Computer>WDEV0010</Computer></System><ApplicationData><TraceData><DataItem><TraceRecord xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/10/E2ETraceEvent/TraceRecord" Severity="Information"><TraceIdentifier>msdn.microsoft.com/.../TraceIdentifier><Description>Sent a message over a channel.</Description><AppDomain>/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Intranet-1-129464156053697011</AppDomain><Source>System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpContext+HostedRequestHttpOutput/21106823</Source><ExtendedData xmlns="application/json'>http://schemas.microsoft.com/2006/08/ServiceModel/MessageTraceRecord"><MessageProperties><Encoder>application/json; charset=utf-8</Encoder><AllowOutputBatching>False</AllowOutputBatching></MessageProperties><MessageHeaders></MessageHeaders></ExtendedData></TraceRecord></DataItem></TraceData></ApplicationData></E2ETraceEvent><E2ETraceEvent xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/E2ETraceEvent"><System xmlns="1310853http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/windows/eventlog/system"><EventID>131085</EventID><Type>3</Type><SubType Name="Stop">0</SubType><Level>255</Level><TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-04T18:34:38.6407011Z" /><Source Name="System.ServiceModel" /><Correlation ActivityID="ef6d9d7e-94c1-430d-97a7-8f602c4a98c0" /><Execution ProcessName="w3wp" ProcessID="3500" ThreadID="7" /><Channel/><Computer>WDEV0010</Computer></System><ApplicationData><TraceData><DataItem><TraceRecord xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/10/E2ETraceEvent/TraceRecord" Severity="Stop"><TraceIdentifier>msdn.microsoft.com/.../TraceIdentifier><Description>Activity boundary.</Description><AppDomain>/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Intranet-1-129464156053697011</AppDomain><ExtendedData xmlns="Process'>http://schemas.microsoft.com/2006/08/ServiceModel/DictionaryTraceRecord"><ActivityName>Process action ''.</ActivityName><ActivityType>ProcessAction</ActivityType></ExtendedData></TraceRecord></DataItem></TraceData></ApplicationData></E2ETraceEvent><E2ETraceEvent xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/E2ETraceEvent"><System xmlns="03http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/windows/eventlog/system"><EventID>0</EventID><Type>3</Type><SubType Name="Transfer">0</SubType><Level>255</Level><TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-04T18:34:39.4347011Z" /><Source Name="System.ServiceModel" /><Correlation ActivityID="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" RelatedActivityID="819f4037-0928-4142-a75e-3aeb8fab1966" /><Execution ProcessName="w3wp" ProcessID="3500" ThreadID="7" /><Channel/>

Hi Andrei,

There could be some issue with the drafts

Can you check whether the following query will return results

SELECT
FROM [dbo].[sf_draft_pages] where page_id IS NULL

If there are any rows in the result perform DELETE

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

executing
DELETE FROM [dbo].[sf_draft_pages] where page_id IS NULL
solved the problem.

Thanks a lot

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2011 00:00

Any news on this error?

My development team is using SiteFinity 4.1, we had 2 custom templates (with their own masterpage), everything went smoothly until today, we started to receive the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when trying to access the Design/Page Templates Administator page. At this time, we:

- Checked that both masterpage has their asp.net forms
- Executed 'DELETE FROM [dbo].[sf_draft_pages] where page_id IS NULL'  on database
- Restarted IIS

But nothing works.

We have customer review on schedule for tomorrow... help!

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

We have exactly the same problem, 

Can you please let us know how to solve this issue as soon as possible

Thanks,
Armen

Ditto. 

This just started happening after upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 this morning.  Any idea on a fix would be great.  Luckily i have not upgraded my production site yet.

Just a FYI, I ran the upgrade on a test site by just running the upgrade and restarting IIS.  I did not bring down a local copy and compile and redeploy.  I just downloaded the project manager and upgraded and restarted.

Anthony

FYI,

The information given to me in another thread solved my problem.

www.sitefinity.com/.../object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object-in-design-template.aspx

This thread is closed