Exception when I add new News item

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 23:35

Exception when I add new News item

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2011 00:00

I'm using v4.0.  I added 4 news items with no problem.  I noticed I had no way to set the publish date so they all got out of order from my original site's news.  So I updated the Created and Last Modified dates in the database.  The order is now the way I want it.

So I attempt to go add a new item and get the following exception:

ajaxToolkit:AutoCompleteExtender ('AjaxControlToolkit.AutoCompleteExtender'): cannot set attribute with name 'ShowOnlyCurrentWordInCompletionListItem' to 'true'

The server is Server 2008 if that helps.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Chris Joyce,

About precise setting of the published date - you can use the Schedule Publish/Unpublish Dialog in the More Actions Menu.

About the js error that your receive - do you use some third party controls in Sitefinity or have you copied some additional assemblies in the bin folder. Is this happening on a fresh installation from Project Manager?

Best wishes,
Nikolay Datchev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

hi,

after upgrading my project to 4.1 i get this:

Server Error in '/IDS' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unable to generate code for a value of type 'System.Object'. This error occurred while trying to generate the property value for Value.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: /IDS/SfCtrlPresentation/OpenAccessDataProvider,fba962d3a8dd4e5d836fc3b616d6f946.ascx    Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1 

when i try to view a news item.

thanks,
andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

Hi Andrei,

This sounds like some incompatibility of a customized ascx template and the .NET ASP.NET builder. Can you send us the markup of the template that you use - i guess it is customized database stored widget template for some of the public widgets- NewsView?

Regards,
Nikolay Datchev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

Nikolay,

You are right, it was a customized template to display a single news item. It worked perfectly in 4.0.

Once I have updated, it went wrong. I have messed about with the template since then and hence cannot
give you an exact copy. I am rebuilding it again from scratch with the latest internal build applied. Please
stay subscribed to this forum in case I have issues.

However, for now, one issue still remains. In the back-end template where news items are created, I get
some errors. See the attached image for details. All I did was to change the Label of the fields and the description.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2011 00:00

Hello Andrei,
1) About the Resource problem. The error that you receive is related to a change in how we interpret localized labels in UI definitions. The way it was done was wrong, and now you should set resource key , rather than resource value. For example in a typical text field defintion:

var lastNameField = new TextFieldDefinitionElement(mainSection.Fields)
ID = "lastNameFieldControl",
DataFieldName = "Title",
DisplayMode = displayMode,
Title = Res.Get<SomeResources>().LastName,

should be changed to

var lastNameField = new TextFieldDefinitionElement(mainSection.Fields)
ID = "lastNameFieldControl",
DataFieldName = "Title",
DisplayMode = displayMode,
Title = "LastName",

If you don't need summary than you have to remove the code for the summary text field.
About hiding the url panel - generally  if your item needs to have a public url - it makes sense to keep this panel so users can customize the public url - if not you can probably use the CssClass property on the section level with some class that has display:none style.

Greetings,

Nikolay Datchev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-May-2011 00:00

Nikolay,

Thanks for your reply. I must say though, I did nothing in code. All I did was to go to "Custom Fields for news" and change the Author and the SourceName fields. I changed the Label and the Instructional text.That put it back as it was.

Now I am wondering if there is a way for me to change or add new resources that I could reference and get those labels and the instructional texts changed in the way that I want ???

Adding new fields seems to be working. The other challenge was to get the Single News Item template working, but if I get any issues with that, then I shall be posting the template.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

Nikolay,

Hi again. Ok, I am getting the following error:

Server Error in '/IDS' Application.

Databinding methods such as Eval(), XPath(), and Bind() can only be used in the context of a databound control.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Databinding methods such as Eval(), XPath(), and Bind() can only be used in the context of a databound control.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
   <system.web>
       <compilation debug="true"/>
   </system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Databinding methods such as Eval(), XPath(), and Bind() can only be used in the context of a databound control.]
   System.Web.UI.Page.GetDataItem() +99
   System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.Eval(String expression) +36
   ASP.sfctrlpresentation_openaccessdataprovider_01c3ff8d06a84ea1ae6952d26e4e801f_ascx.__DataBinding__control5(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Program Files\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.0\Projects\IDS\SfCtrlPresentation\OpenAccessDataProvider,01c3ff8d06a84ea1ae6952d26e4e801f.ascx:23
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +65
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeControl.DataBind() +21
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() +187
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +157
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +15
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadListView.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean dataBinding) +599
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadListView.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +90
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data) +118
   System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +29
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +133
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadListView.PerformSelect() +24
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +72
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadListView.DataBind() +17
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadListView.AutoDataBind(RadListViewRebindReason rebindReason) +147
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadListView.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +181
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +168
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +168
   System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +519
   System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child) +150
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.Views.Backend.ViewBase.CreateChildControls() +100
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +122
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +49
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +204
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +6878

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1 

With the following template:

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="telerik" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PublicControls.BrowseAndEdit" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>

<telerik:RadListView ID="DetailsView" ItemPlaceholderID="ItemContainer" AllowPaging="False" runat="server" EnableEmbeddedSkins="false" EnableEmbeddedBaseStylesheet="false">

<LayoutTemplate>
        <div class="sfnewsDetails">
            <div class="sfnewsLinksWrp">
                <sf:MasterViewHyperLink class="sfnewsBack" Font-Size="20px" Text="<%$ Resources:NewsResources, AllNews %>" runat="server" />
            </div>
            <div>
                <table style="width:100%;text-align:left;font-size:x-large;border-top:1px solid Black;border-bottom:1px solid Black;">
                     <tr>
                         <td colspan="2" style="font-weight:bold;">Text</td>
                     </tr>
                     <tr>
                         <td style="font-weight:bold;">Some more text</td>
                         <td>
<asp:Literal Text="Staff Notice: " runat="server" />
<sitefinity:TextField runat="server" DisplayMode="Read" Value='<%# Eval("ReferenceCode")%>' />
</td>
                     </tr>
                     <tr>
                        <td>Quite a bit of text here</td>
<td>
     <asp:Literal Text="Issued:  " runat="server" />
     <sf:FieldListView ID="PublicationDate1" runat="server" Format="PublicationDate.ToLocal():dd MMM yyyy" />
</td>
                     </tr>
                </table>
            </div>
            <asp:PlaceHolder ID="ItemContainer" runat="server" />
        </div>
    </LayoutTemplate>

<ItemTemplate>

<h1 class="sfnewsTitle">
            <asp:Literal Text='<%# Eval("Title") %>' runat="server" />
        </h1>

<div style="font-size:medium;">
            <asp:Literal ID="Literal1" Text='<%# Eval("Content") %>' runat="server" />
        </div>

<div style="font-size:large;">
    <asp:Literal ID="signatureLine" Text='_______________________________' runat="server" />
    <sitefinity:TextField runat="server" DisplayMode="Read" Value='<%# Eval("Author")%>' />   
    <sitefinity:TextField runat="server" DisplayMode="Read" Value='<%# Eval("SourceName")%>' />        
    <sf:FieldListView ID="PublicationDate" runat="server" Format="PublicationDate.ToLocal():dd MMM yyyy" />
</div>

</ItemTemplate>
</telerik:RadListView>

Please Note: ReferenceCode is a custom field which works when placed in some other locations in the template. Also, Publicationdate1 is copied from at the bottom and changed only the ID.

Thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 09-May-2011 00:00

Nikolay,

Do not worry, I have sorted it out. I was adding my mark-up in the header it seems.
I have gone into Administration -> Interface Labels & Messages and changed all
the labels and descriptions from there and it looks fine now. 

Now, everything from The news side seems to work fine.

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

Last question,

Can I add code in some way to a single news item template. I want to note in the database
who has viewed an item. Since the page on which the item is viewed is auto-generated, I can not
drop any code on it. So the other way I was thinking was to add some code to the template
or a reference to a ASCX control which would be loaded and the code within it, executed.

Any thoughts / recommendations?

Many thanks,
Andrei

Posted by Community Admin on 16-May-2011 00:00

Hello Andrei,

Please check this forum thread.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed