Content not showing after master page update ...

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:08

Content not showing after master page update ...

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi,

We are in the process of porting our clients public facing corporate site to a standard trial version of sitefinity. After porting about a 100 pages, we made a change in the master page and now

1. No content is being displayed on the content pages on the frontend.
2. When you edit the page however, all the content IS displayed in the admin area.
3. Creating a new page also works fine and the content is displayed in the front end.

We have tried the following
1. Reverting the master page to the previous revisions.
2. Creating a copy of the master page and using it as a template.
3. Using another master page for the content
4. Reset IIS and cleanup the temporary ASP.net folders.

None of these measures have solved our problem. Please let us know of any supporting material that we could provide to help in the prompt rectification of the problem since both our reputation and weeks of hard work is at stake.

Thanks,
Saqib.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi,

I have go through following post as well :

www.sitefinity.com/.../gone-back-to-a-revison-and-page-content-not-showing.aspx

But my permission is set everyone for each page and but i unable to revert old revision of master page.
I think revert button is not working in this version.

Please i need quick help on this issue.

thanks
Saqib

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi,

i request telerik team to reply back. i am waiting for your reply.

This is my corporate site and i am in tough situation and facing following problem with sitefinity 4.0.

1-my master is attached more than 100 pages.
2- so when i do little change in master page and publish then pages don't showing any page data except header and footer of master page only.

3-Even when i change master page of any page and publish then it change master page but unable to show existing page data.

Please reply urgent what is problem with this version and how i resolve this issue.

thanks
Saqi

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi saqib,

If you can see the pages in the backend, but not in the frontend after editing the template, than this is a known issue. We have fixed it and it will be included in the SP1 release coming this week. It has been fixed a few weeks ago and is also included in one of the internal builds, but I recommend you to wait for the official service pack.

Unfortunately, there is no way to automatically fix the pages that are broken. If you go to the page editor in the backend, the controls should be there, but will probably not be placed in the correct placeholders. You can reorder them manually and publish the page, this should fix the problem. You should not do anything with your template unless you install the service pack coming this week.

I know this is really frustrating when you have many pages. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If what I described is not the issue you are experiencing, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi,

I have update existing website with SP1 but still facing same problem .i.e. when i update page template and publish then all pages that are using this template are unable to show middle content. Pages only show Header and footer of page that is part of template.

But i have created an another website in purely in SP1, Issue has been resolved.
But i think SP1 is not upgrading existing site Properly.

Please let me what to do in existing site case because we are registered user and we are going to launch our sitefinity website to production but because of above issue, we are worry about it.

Please let me know one thing, Is there any way to migrate all pages of Sitefinity4.0 pages to purely created SP1 site, in case above issue is not resolved?

Please give me solution for this otherwise we are going into disaster :(

thanks
Saqi
Sitefinity Dev Team Lead.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Apr-2011 00:00

I have the same issues after upgrading to SP1 as well.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi,

Let me check if I understand correctly:

1. You have a 4.0 site that works correctly.
2. You upgrade to 4.0 SP1 - it still works correctly.
3. If you change something in a template, some content is lost in the pages that use the template.

Is this the case?

If yes, can you send me a backup that I can restore to test this issue? I will need credentials to login as admin, and all custom master pages and themes, if you use any. It would be best if you can send me a backup that works correctly and is upgraded to SP1 and tell me which template you change to experience the issue. This will minimize the actions on my side to reproduce the problem which will ensure the test case is as close to your real environment as possible.

What was the problem:

The problem that we fixed is that when you published a template its controls got recreated, thus the placeholders received new IDs. Since the controls in the pages remember the IDs of their placeholder, they were not rendered -  remembered IDs were the old IDs - those before the publishing of the template. This was spotted and fixed very quickly and there is a fix available in an internal build prior to 4.0 SP1. It should not happen, so I think that this is some different issue.

Best wishes,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team

Hi,

Please see my flow:

1- I have created site in Sitefinity 4.0
2- Edit Template, then all pages showing ,that are attach with this template, does not show content.
3- then i upgrade to sitefinity 4.0 SP1
4- But this issue has not been resolved

then

1- I created a different Site in Sitefinity 4.0 SP1
2- Working fine when i edit any template.

So let me know what is the reason with existing site?
How i can check whether Siteinity 4.0 upgraded to SP1 properly or not?

I cannot send code to you.

Thanks
saqi

Hi saquib,

Unfortunately, upgrading will not fix your broken pages, if this is what you expect. Is this what you mean in 4 - "But this issue has not been resolved"? Or is it that further changes to the template still break a non-broken page?

The upgrade just fixes the logic so new changes to a template does not break the pages. Those that are already broken will not be automatically fixed. There is no way to fix them automatically because the original IDs of the template placeholders are lost, as I explained.

Best wishes,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi,

This issue also raised when i have upgrade sitefinity 4.o to SP1. After upgrading, i have published page template, then all content from pages ,that are attached with this template, are disappear.

But this is happening only with sitefinity 4.0 sites and after upgrading also raising same issue.

But this issue does not happen when i create new website with SP1.

thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi saqib,

Ok, it happens in 4.0 because the bug is not fixed there. It does not happen in 4.0 SP1 because the bug is fixed. So, the question is why it happens on upgrade from 4.0 to 4.0 SP1? The only reason I could think of is that the template(s) had drafts before upgrading to 4.o SP1. Those drafts were not created properly (the bug was not yet fixed) and when you publish them in the SP1 they break things up, even if the bug is fixed.

This is all I could think of right now. Maybe you can try to go to delete all template drafts before upgrading.

Kind regards,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi,

I dont know why you are not understanding my issue. I have written each and everything in detail but you are saying i should delete templates and create new :( my templete is attached to more than 200 pages. how can i delete this template.

Please read my above blog in detail and tell me what i do. Let me know how i can solve this issue.

I am again explaining to you with step by step.

1- I had backup of database before to raise this issue in sitefinity 4.0.
2- Issue raise when i publish template page, then content disapper from all pages that are using this templete.
3-Restore backup to make site again normal so then i avoid to publish template next time until release new version.
4-I upgrade website with sitefinity 4.0 SP1.
5- I tried again to publish template to again this issue has been resolved or not but still same.

So Please read these step very very carefully and let me know where i am wrong.

Sorry for hard wording because my site is going to production and facing this issue:(

thanks
saqi

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Saqi,

Regarding "5- I tried again to publish template to again this issue has been resolved or not but still same."
The problem is that the upgrade is not going to fix broken templates, the upgrade is fixing the bug that was actually breaking the templates. So it is not going to solve your problem.

Is your template based on a master page? You can try to recreate it (keep the same placeholders) and set it to a page for a test.

Greetings,
Pavel
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jun-2015 00:00

Hi,

I can't able to link with the master page.

I add a new page, in my webapp, telerik data grid i used in this DefaultCS.aspx page. 

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Site.Master" Inherits="Telerik.GridExamplesCSharp.DataEditing.ProgramaticLinqUpdates.DefaultCS" runat="server" Codebehind="DefaultCS.aspx.cs" %> 

Here i used <html> and <form>...

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Site.Master.cs" Inherits="WHINWebApp.Site.Master" %>

Kindly check this, why i cant able to add a masterpagefile in the DefaultCS page.

Thank You

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jun-2015 00:00

Hi Elangovan,

In case you are using standard web form (aspx page) but not Sitefinity page you can use master page as in any other asp.net application, for example here.

In order to use Master Pages on Sitefinity page you can take a look on that article:
http://docs.sitefinity.com/create-a-template-using-a-master-page

I hope the information helps.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed