Image Names (this got to be a joke)

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:45

Image Names (this got to be a joke)

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Feb-2011 00:00

Good day Ivan Radoslav

First of all two things

1) I set up a new VPS server and the uploading of images worked without a problem (other thread)

2) I was going to give you such a great compliment on how it is now possible to reorder images and to have them displayed in that order

3) I was goint to tell you it would be nice that after you reorder them they would also be displayed in that order in the album

4) but now I thought why not give the old 3.7 pain in the neck a try and name two images the same.

Grrrh - you would not think what happened to me - like in 3.7 it seems  not yet possible to have two images with the same name.

If this is true this got to be a joke - how could you have done such a thing.

50 Images on a car show - some Ford, some BMW, some VW

It seems I would have to name the images Ford GT 1, Ford GT 2, Ford GT 3, BMW 320 1, BMW 320 2 to have them displayed.

Or you have a company party. 10 Images of the CEO John Doe, 10 Images CFO Jane Doe

Image 1 Title: CEO John Doe
Image 2 Title: CEO John Doe 1
Image 3 Title: CEO John Doe 3
Image 4 Title: CFO Jane Doe
Image 5 Title: CFE Jane Doe 2
and so on

Or you have to make up different tiles like: Jane Doe looking to the left,

Come on tell me I am wrong, and if not please put that on your Q1 list because this is simply terrible design.

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

Dear Radoslav
Dear Ivan
Dear Telerik team

Sorry I want to appologize for the way a posted this. Sorry.

This has been a problem, issue, bad design in 3.7 and finding that it is still handled this way just made me sad. Sorry

Others http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/bugs-issues/image-duplicated-on-upload-when-using-same-name.aspx seem to been bugged by this as well.

Can we expect a change? And if yes, will it make it to Q1?

Markus

Hello Markus,

Thank you for sharing what you think.
No need to apologize - really :). I understand why this frustrates you. 

Up to now we were using the image title as identifier for the URL. We didn't want items with the same identifier, because we will have the same URL for both items. We have implemented UrlName and Title properties though, for exactly this reason - so that we can set the Url Name of the item independently of the Title. Therefore we need a small change to get the things work correctly.

Would you agree that this will be a better option?

Regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Dear Georgi

So from you reply I can see that I can indeed have two images with the same Title, as long as they have different URLs :-)

The problem is, that if you upload 3 images

DSC001.jpg
DSC002.jpg
DSC003.jpg

They will have titles DSC00n and url DSC00n.

Now when you change the title of im age DSC001 to FORD the url gets changed as well to FORD
So when you then change DSC002 to Ford as well the URL gets changed to FORD also

Since this URL is all the way to the bottom and even collapsed I would never have noticed.

-------------
So as far as I am concerned it is possible to have same titles as long as you keep the URL different.

So this only seems to be a problem of usabilty.

--------------
How to solve this?

a) warn the user if the URL is allready used

Warning. We use image title for URLs. An image with this Title/URL exists please change the URL manually.

b) make the URL portion just below the title and give the user a change to change it directly. there

c) tell the UI team that some poeple did not get the idea how this works and have them fix it :-)

Markus

Hello Markus,

I sent the suggestions. We will brainstorm on ideas here.
Thanks! :)

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Mar-2011 00:00

Dear Georgi

Any news on this?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

We haven't implemented it yet. Unfortunately we do not have an estimated time frame for it.

All the best,
Georgi
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Mar-2011 00:00

Dear Georgi

Thanks for the feedback. I asked this several times but never got an answer.

Is Telerik going to put all that stuff on PITS or do we have to do it?

Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2011 00:00

Hi Markus Berchtold,

We are not able to put all the requests we have about Sitefinity. There are several thousands requests, new features and ideas :).
On the other hand, last night we synced some of the things you have suggested to PITS. You may see them now.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team

This thread is closed